May 20, 2013
Faculty, staff invited to Spring Fling on Thursday
Spring Fling, the annual appreciation event for faculty, staff, graduate student staff and retirees, is set for 11:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Thursday (May 23) in and around the France A. Córdova Recreational Sports Center.
Event organizers have planned a variety of activities such as Zumba, yoga, recreational center tours, Food Finders food drive, Bloodmobile donations, classic vehicle car show, fitness walk, golf outing and lunch. Those interested in donating blood can sign up for a time in advance at www.donorpoint.org/donor/schedules/drive_schedule/66951 if desired.
This year's lunch will include a turkey or ham hoagie, chips, pretzels, carrots, trail mix, apples and ice cream. Water and soft drinks will be available. A vegetarian option will be offered, and serving line No. 8 will distribute meals for those with special dietary needs. Lunch will be served from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Food lines will be in the Gold & Black gym inside the recreational center. Many activities also will be held inside. Spring Fling will be canceled only in the case of severe weather.
To enter drawings for door prizes, employees attending Spring Fling must bring the staff appreciation entry ticket that was included in a campus-wide mailing sent in April.
Barrels for the food drive will be located in the recreational center's main reception area. Food may be dropped off in the days leading up to Spring Fling or on the day of the event.
All staff can attend Spring Fling without loss of pay, vacation or personal holiday, according to University policy.
To facilitate Spring Fling attendance, Human Resources offers the following guidelines:
* Attendance is covered in "worked regular" pay status for staff attending during normally scheduled work hours.
* Temporary staff can attend as work schedules permit, but not in pay status.
* Staff scheduled on the evening or night shifts and those not normally scheduled to work May 23 are invited to attend. Adjustments to work schedules normally are not made to cover these staff members in pay status.
* Staff are not expected to return to work if one hour or less remains in their work day.
* Staff on vacation or sick leave on May 23 should remain on such status for the day. Regular pay status is not applicable for such staff.
For questions about these guidelines, contact Carrie Hanson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 49-47397.
Forward phone calls if out
A simple message can help the Telephone Office staff on May 23 during Spring Fling.
Those who attend Spring Fling should remember to forward their phone calls to voice mail or to those who are providing phone coverage. That easy step can prevent an excess of phone calls to University operators on the day of the event.