Remember to certify tobacco-user status, list beneficiaries during open enrollment
November 13, 2012
As faculty and staff work through this year's benefits open enrollment process, they should certify their tobacco-user status through the online EBenefits system.
The certification affects what employees pay for Purdue medical insurance for themselves and their covered spouse or same-sex domestic partner. It also determines what faculty and staff pay for any additional employee term life insurance they may carry.
* Status options are non-tobacco user, tobacco user, or tobacco user who has completed an approved cessation program between Sept. 1 and Nov. 16, 2012.
* Employees covered by a 2013 Purdue medical plan who do not certify their tobacco-user status during open enrollment will be considered a tobacco user and will be charged an additional premium. The same applies to covered spouses and same-sex domestic partners. The additional premium for 2013 is $500 per tobacco user.
* Faculty and staff carrying additional employee term life insurance who do not certify their tobacco-user status during open enrollment will be considered a tobacco user and will be charged tobacco-user rates for their additional life insurance.
* Those covered by a Purdue medical plan must certify their tobacco-user status in EBenefits during this year's open enrollment, even if they certified their status last year.
EBenefits will become the official beneficiary record for term life insurance and accidental death and dismemberment insurance. All employees are being asked to list their beneficiaries for these plans in EBenefits during this year's open enrollment. Employees who decide not to list beneficiaries when enrolling may log into EBenefits to specify beneficiaries at any time, preferably before Dec. 31.
Open enrollment ends at midnight on Nov. 16. No changes will be accepted after that time.
* To enroll, certify tobacco-user status and list beneficiaries, go to www.ebenefits.com/purdue. To complete the enrollment process, employees will click the submit button, check the box to indicate they've read the enrollment notices, enter their initials and then click the submit button again.
* For more enrollment information, including schedules of presentations and walk-in labs, read the 2013 Enrollment Reference Guide or visit www.purdue.edu/hr/Benefits/enroll.html.* Contact Human Resources at 49-42222 or email@example.com for open enrollment assistance. Employees at Calumet, Fort Wayne and North Central may contact their campus HR offices.