5 Students Who are Record Makers
David Boudia, a senior in communication from Noblesville, Ind., has six NCAA diving titles and numerous Big Ten accolades. Boudia, who competed in the 2008 Olympic Games, is favored to medal at this summer's Olympic Games. (Purdue University photo/Andrew Hancock)
Firsts come in many forms. Athletes push body and mind to reach the top. For others, reaching the summit means giving back the most -- doing the most good. Meet 5 Students who have accomplished the extraordinary to earn a place in Boilermaker history.
The students featured are:
* David Boudia, a senior in communication from Noblesville, Ind. Boudia, a record-setting diver, is favored to medal at this summer's Olympic Games, having competed in the 2008 Games. He has six NCAA diving titles and numerous Big Ten accolades.
* Patrick Byrne, a recent graduate in civil engineering from Austin, Texas. Byrne led the Drumline team at Purdue's Relay for Life, and the team was named Best Fundraising Team for the past three years. During this time, the group has collected donations exceeded $18,000.
* Silai Mirzoy, a senior in biology from West Lafayette, Ind. Mirzoy partnered with friends to start ICAN, a first-of-its-kind organization in the community for female Muslim youth. The group helps youth develop their confidence, build faith and serve their community.
* Brittany Rayburn, a first-year veterinary medicine student from Attica, Ind. Rayburn holds NCAA, Big Ten and Purdue records in basketball.
* John Christopher "J.C." Russo, a junior in computer graphics technology from Carmel, Ind. As a starting goalie for Team USA in power soccer, Russo helped his team twice win the Powerchair Football World Cup. He also has been a two-time Team USA member for the United States Power Soccer Association.
The students' full profiles can be found at www.purdue.edu/fivestudents.
The "5 Students Who …" website also has links to past categories including "5 Students Who are Trail Makers," "5 Students Who are Opportunity Makers," "5 Students Who are Spirit Makers," "5 Students who are Example Makers," "5 Students Who are Music Makers" and "5 Students Who are Change Makers."