Long term care insurance enrollment begins today, ends April 30
Enrollment for Purdue's new long term care insurance benefit starts today (March 19) and runs through April 30.
Long term care insurance provides coverage when a person needs substantial assistance with two or more "activities of daily living" or ADLs. These include things such as eating, dressing and moving from a bed to a chair. The person may receive care in his or her own home or at a facility, such as an assisted living residence or a nursing home.
The following resources are available for employees who may be interested in long term care insurance through Genworth Life Insurance Company:
* Genworth website: www.genworth.com/groupltc (group ID = Purdue, access code = groupltc)
Includes user-friendly online enrollment, plus tools to weigh costs and options.
* Genworth phone assistance: 800-416-3624
Provides customer service staff to answer questions. Also, those who don't want to enroll online may call this number to request a paper enrollment application.
* Purdue Benefits website: www.purdue.edu/benefits
Offers information about options and who's eligible for coverage. Also provides the meeting and webinar schedule and frequently asked questions.
* Home mailings from Genworth: Includes a personalized rate quote letter that will arrive around March 20, plus additional mailings during the enrollment period.
Guaranteed coverage for employees during initial enrollment
Employees who meet the following qualifications will be accepted for long term care insurance coverage during this initial enrollment period:
* Ages 18-79.
* Actively at work in a benefits-eligible Purdue position for 30 days prior to the coverage effective date.
* Have a Social Security number.
* Maintain a permanent U.S. residence.
Spouses and same-sex domestic partners ages 18-65 may apply for coverage during the initial March 19-April 30 enrollment by completing a short-form underwriting application. Many additional individuals, including employees age 80 and older and family members and retirees up to age 79, may apply for coverage subject to full underwriting. Underwriting is the insurance industry's process for determining whether to provide insurance to someone who has applied for coverage.
Simple plan design with options for flexibility
Those who decide to enroll in long term care insurance will make the following choices:
* Monthly benefit level ($3,000, $4,500, $6,000 or $7,500).
* Number of years of benefit coverage (three years or five years).
* Inflation protection option.
Premiums will be based on the covered person's age at the time coverage begins and on the options selected.