Daylight saving time to affect some work shifts
When Indiana clocks fall back an hour at 2 a.m., Sunday, Nov. 6, the time change will affect the work schedule of some University employees.
For clerical, service and operations technical employees, police and firefighters working the evening shift on this date, the time change will mean that their shift will last one hour longer than normally scheduled. For example, for that shift only, employees typically working eight-hour shifts will work nine hours; and those used to a 12-hour shift will work 13 hours.
If the extra hour moves the employee’s total hours in paid status to more than the standard 40-hour work week, the employee must be paid the appropriate rate for all excess hours. The supervisor may not initiate a work schedule change to avoid overtime payment.
If an employee requests the option of flexing his or her schedule, it is permissible as long as it is done within the same work week, is at the employee’s request, and is approved by the supervisor.
For more information, contact:
* Human Resources, Compensation, 49-40097.
* Housing and Food Services Human Resources, 49-49418.
* ITaP Human Resources, 49-63879.
* Physical Facilities Human Resources, 49-41421.
* Human Resources Department, 219-989-2254.
* Human Resources Department, 260-481-6677.
* Human Resources Department, 219-785-5300.