Caution still advised as Harrison, Wooden street segments reopen
A section of Harrison Street is to reopen Monday (Aug. 22), and John Wooden Drive by Mackey Arena has reopened, but motorists and pedestrians should know several things about continuing work in those areas.
Harrison Street Project
The section of Harrison set to reopen Monday, weather permitting, is Phase I, which extends from Sheetz Street to South University Street. Things to note:
* Minor construction activity will continue. Tasks include setting and aligning street lights; laying sod in the island and parkway areas; applying permanent crosswalks and centerline striping with lane directional arrows; and installing traffic signage along with some minor concrete pours and general cleanup work.
* For pedestrian, driver and worker safety, no on-street parking will be allowed anywhere on Harrison Street (west of Sheetz) until phases 1A (University Street to Russell Street) and 1B (Russell Street intersection) have been completed and opened to traffic. The only exception will be for construction staff vehicles.
Wooden Drive (immediately west of Mackey Arena)
Wooden Drive was opened to traffic on Monday (Aug. 15). Things to note:
* Construction work will continue. Tasks include setting and aligning street lights and delivering mortar, concrete blocks, bricks, and some roofing, structural steel and other miscellaneous construction items. Some minor and major concrete pours may take place, as well as general cleanup work.
* Expect major traffic delays when items are being delivered to a building site.
* Pedestrians will need to be alert and cautious. Workers will be present and occasionally may need to be in or near pedestrian space during working hours and times of public events such as football games.
* Temporary lights will be set up and secured for public safety during the evening hours when the surrounding area is dark.