Teaching Academy to induct 12 on Wednesday
The Purdue University Teaching Academy will welcome 12 new members in an induction and recognition ceremony on Wednesday (Sept. 29). All members of the Purdue community are welcome to attend.
The ceremony will start at 7:30 p.m. in the East and West Faculty Lounges, Purdue Memorial Union. A wine and cheese reception will precede the reception at 7 p.m.
Charles Bonwell, a nationally known expert on active learning in the classroom and emeritus professor of history at Southeast Missouri State University, will provide the keynote address. The topic of Bonwell's talk will be "So, What Do We Mean by 'Learning'?"
The Teaching Academy works for continual improvement of teaching at the University. It sponsors a variety of programs including mentoring and workshops.
The ceremony will honor nine Teaching Academy fellows from the ranks of the faculty and three new associate fellows who are graduate teaching assistants, instructors or other teaching staff.
New fellows are:
* Joshua E. Boyd, communication
* Lawrence W. Braile, earth and atmospheric sciences
* Jean A. Chmielewski, chemistry
* Keith Dickson, foreign languages and literature
* Peggy A. Ertmer, curriculum and instruction
* Lisa J. Mauer, food science
* Dimitrios Peroulis, electrical and computer engineering
* Paul Siciliano, horticulture and landscape architecture
* A. Dale Whittaker, Office of the Provost
New associate fellows are:
* Clark Gedney, biological sciences
* Susan Uhlig, art and design
* Cynthia S. York, curriculum and instruction
Four past members of the Teaching Academy's Executive Council will be recognized for their service:
* Heidi Diefes-Dux, engineering education
* Christine Ladisch, health and human sciences
* Timothy Newby, curriculum and instruction
* Matthew Verleger, engineering education
For more information about the event, visit www.teachingacademy.purdue.edu/events/induction_10_11.asp.