Purdue United Way Campaign to kick off Sept. 14
2010 Purdue United Way Campaign poster.
The 2010 Purdue United Way Campaign hopes to raise $735,000 for human service agencies starting with its Sept. 14 kickoff.
"Impact tomorrow today: Give to United Way" is this year's theme. Through pledges and activities Purdue employees can show they care for the community.
"Every penny that you give will go to directly to one of the more than 100 service programs funded by United Way of Greater Lafayette thanks to our Vanguard donors," says Christine Ladisch, 2010 Purdue United Way chair and dean of the College of Health and Human Sciences. "Your donation will impact the lives of one in three people in our local community. It could help a single mother with day care, a struggling family with needed food and clothing, a senior citizen with activities and companionship or an at-risk teen stay in school."
"As part of the Purdue University family, you can play a critical role in helping our neighbors and friends lead productive and happy lives," Ladisch said.
The Purdue United Way goal of $735,000 is a large percentage of the community goal, which is $4.5 million.
United Way of Greater Lafayette has channeled $110 million into the community since 1923.
Pledge cards will be delivered to the team captains of each department during the week of Sept. 14, and campus employees will receive them soon after. The pledge cards should be returned to the team captains or sent directly to Dauch Alumni Center in the envelope included. All donations will go to the 23 partner agencies that serve the communities of Lafayette and West Lafayette and many of the surrounding counties. Faculty and staff can designate their gifts to other counties or a particular United Way agency or agencies.
Lilly Endowment to match new, increased giving
New gifts and increased gifts to United Way will be matched this year by Lilly Endowment.
For example, if an employee gave $100 last year and pledges $150 this year, Lilly will pitch in the amount of the increase, which is $50.
Any new gift will be matched fully by Lilly.
United Way facts
* Purdue United Way Campaign goal: $735,000.
* Purdue United Way Campaign kickoff: Sept. 14.
* Pledge card distribution: Beginning week of Sept. 14.
* Purdue United Way chair: Christine Ladisch, dean, College of Health and Human Sciences.
* Loaned campaign representatives: Anne Washburn, Purdue United Way director, and Robert Davis, an alumnus and assistant department head in Engineering Education. To schedule an LCR presentation, call United Way, at 742-9077, or go to www.uwlafayette.org for a form.
* Information: Purdue United Way office, 49-49240 or www.purdue.edu/unitedway