Seasonal flu shot appointments to be offered on campus
Beginning Oct. 11, seasonal flu shot appointments provided by WorkLife Programs will be available on the West Lafayette campus. The vendor for these events is Maxim Health Systems.
The Centers for Disease Control advises that everyone 6 months of age and older should get a flu vaccine each year, starting with the 2010-11 influenza season. Influenza is a serious disease that can lead to hospitalization and sometimes even death.
Every flu season is different, and influenza infection can affect people differently. Even healthy people can get very sick from the flu and spread it to others. Getting the seasonal flu vaccine reduces the chance that you will get seasonal flu and lessens the chance that you will spread it to others. Last year, WorkLife Programs administered 6,898 flu shots on the West Lafayette campus.
Seasonal flu shots on campus are offered to benefit-eligible faculty and staff, graduate staff, official Purdue retirees, and their spouses/same-sex domestic partners. View a list of flu shot events on the West Lafayette campus at www.purdue.edu/hr/pdf/2010FacStaffFluShots.pdf. To register for a seasonal flu shot appointment or obtain a retail location coupon, go to www.purdue.edu/worklife, log in using your career account and password, and click “Flu Shots.” Bring your PUID to the appointment.
This year’s seasonal flu shot contains the H1N1 vaccine, so only one shot will be needed.
All Purdue health plans cover the seasonal flu vaccine for employees and covered dependents; however, campus flu shot appointments and retail location coupons are not available for children. See your health care provider to obtain a seasonal flu shot for your child.
Beginning Nov. 8, Purdue University Student Health Center (PUSH) will provide seasonal flu shots based on vaccine availability on a walk-in basis. The Urgent Care Center in the basement of PUSH, 601 Stadium Mall Drive, will have flu shots available 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. There may be a wait time. Bring your PUID to the center.
Regional campus flu shot events:
Calumet: www.calumet.purdue.edu/wellness, (219) 989-2709
* Oct. 12 (Tu). 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Student Union/Library, 2200 173rd St.
* Oct. 18 (M). 11 a.m.-2 p.m., Student Union/Library.
* Oct. 27 (W). 3-6 p.m. Student Union/Library.
* Nov. 4 (Th). 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Student Union/Library.
Fort Wayne: www.ipfw.edu/health, (260) 481-6647
* Oct. 20 (W). 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Room G21, Walb Student Union.
* Oct. 28 (Th). 3-7 p.m. Ballroom, Walb Student Union.
* Nov. 3 (W). 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Room 149, Neff Hall.
* Nov. 9 (Tu). 3-7 p.m. Room G98, Kettler Hall.
North Central: www.pnc.edu/depts/HR/Wellness/wellness.htm, (219) 785-5519
* Oct. 4 (M). 1-4 p.m. Library Student Faculty Building (LSF), 1401 S. U.S. Highway 421.
* Oct. 19 (Tu). 7-11 a.m., LSF.
* Oct. 20 (W). 7-11 a.m., LSF.
* Oct. 21 (Th). 7-11 a.m., LSF.
For questions about flu shots on the West Lafayette campus, contact WorkLife Programs at 49-45461.