Purdue offers annual Income Tax School, ag tax workshops
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. - Tax professionals can learn about changes in tax law and regulations, and earn up to 16 hours of continuing education credits through two-day workshops hosted by Purdue University.
The 41st annual Purdue Income Tax School takes place in 10 Indiana cities in November and December. A companion workshop series dealing with agricultural taxes is scheduled for three Hoosier cities in December.
George Patrick, a Purdue agricultural economist and tax law specialist, said previous workshops have been well received.
"Participants have been positive about the workshops being practical and useful," Patrick said. "We've had over 1,100 participants per year at the different locations."
Although a tax professional attended a workshop in the past, he or she should consider attending again this year, Patrick said. "There have been changes in the tax regulations, as well as fairly significant tax legislation this year," he said.
The two-day income tax schools run from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. local time. Instructors include Patrick, certified public accountants, current or former Internal Revenue Service employees and an Indiana Department of Revenue representative.
Tax school dates and locations include:
* Nov. 4-5, Fort Wayne - Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne Walb Union Building, 2010 Coliseum Blvd.
* Nov. 12-13, Muncie - Horizon Convention Center, 401 S. High St.
* Nov. 16-17, Valparaiso - Valparaiso University Union Building
* Nov. 16-17, Kokomo - Johanning Civic Center, 1500 N. Reed Road
* Nov. 19-20, South Bend - Hilton Garden Inn on the campus of St. Mary's College, 53995 Indiana 933
* Nov. 23-24, Indianapolis-East - Marriott Hotel, 7202 E. 21st St.
* Nov. 23-24, West Lafayette - Purdue University Stewart Center
* Nov. 30-Dec. 1, Seymour - United Methodist Church, 201 E. Third St.
* Nov. 30-Dec. 1, Indianapolis-West - Wyndham Hotel, 2544 Executive Dr.
* Dec. 3-4, Evansville - Vanderburgh County 4-H Center, U.S. 41
* Dec. 3-4, Terre Haute - Indiana State University Hulman Memorial Student Union
Registration for the Income Tax School is $285 before Oct. 19 and $325 thereafter. The fee includes the 2009 National Income Tax School Workbook and other materials. Accountants, enrolled agents, attorneys and certified financial planners are eligible for up to 16 hours of continuing education credit. Attorneys can qualify for up to 12.9 hours of continuing legal education.
An extra hour of ethics training will be available 4:45-5:45 p.m. the first day of the schools in Fort Wayne, Muncie, Valparaiso, West Lafayette, Indianapolis-West and Evansville. These sessions will feature participant discussion of ethical scenarios. Participants will receive two hours of ethics training during the two-day school for an additional fee of $25. Participants from other schools are welcome at these sessions.
The Agricultural Tax Workshops take place from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. local time at the following dates and locations:
* Dec. 7, Evansville - Vanderburgh County 4-H Center, U.S. 41
* Dec. 9, Indianapolis - Wyndham Hotel, 2544 Executive Dr.
* Dec. 10, Warsaw - Ramada Plaza Hotel, 2521 E. Center St.
Registration is $99 for those who attend the Income Tax School and $159 for those who do not. The fee includes workshop materials. Continuing education credits are available for accountants, enrolled agents and attorneys.
Online registration for the Income Tax School and Agricultural Tax Workshop can be completed online at www.conf.purdue.edu/tax. Additional information is available by contacting the Purdue Conference Division at 800-359-2968 or Patrick at 765-494-4241, email@example.com .
Writer: Elise Brown, 765-496-7481, firstname.lastname@example.org
Source: George Patrick, (765) 494-4241, email@example.com
Ag Communications: (765) 494-8415
Steve Leer, firstname.lastname@example.org
Agriculture News Page