Beef evaluation open house set for April 10
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. – Commercial cattle producers and other owners of bulls will receive expert advice on proper care and breeding at the annual Indiana Beef Evaluation Program Open House.
Bulls that performed well in the IBEP's performance test will be available for viewing during the April 10 event at Purdue University's Feldun-Purdue Agricultural Center near Bedford in April. They will be sold the following week at Springville Feeder Auction.
The program at the Feldun-Purdue center, 1117 State Road 458, will begin with 30-minute presentations, starting at 2:30 p.m., with the following speakers and their topics:
* Keith Johnson, professor of agronomy, "Managing forages for yield, quality and persistence."
* Patrick Gunn, animal sciences graduate research assistant, "Maximizing reproductive efficiency of 2-year-old heifers through proper nutritional management."
* Terry Stewart, professor of animal sciences, "Mating systems research at Feldun-Purdue Ag Center."
The program then will shift to the IBEP Test Station, on the Feldun-Purdue grounds, with the following 20-minute presentations that will begin at 4:30 p.m. and be repeated at 6:30 p.m.:
* Larry Horstman, associate professor of theriogenology in the College of Veterinary Medicine, "Structural soundness of breeding bulls."
* Ron Lemenager, professor of animal sciences, "Feeding the adolescent bull."
* Donna Lofgren, professional associate of animal breeding, "Understanding IBEP sale catalog data."
Bulls will be available for viewing 4:30-7:30 p.m.
The sale at Springville Feeder Auction will be April 19 beginning at 6 p.m.
There will be a supper 5:30-6:30 p.m. It is provided with support from IBEP, Lawrence County Cattlemen and Indiana Beef Cattle Association.
The event is free, and there is no registration.
For more information, contact Brad Shelton, superintendent at Feldun Purdue Ag Center (812-279-8554) or Terry Stewart (765-494-0138).
Writer: Keith Robinson, 765-494-2722, firstname.lastname@example.org
Source: Terry Stewart, 765-494-0138, email@example.com