This section provides a survey of the research conducted by the Purdue Mesoscale Modeling Laboratory over the past two and a half decades. Every topic has a summary, a list of publications, and a table of captioned thumbnail images that link to full-size illustrations in a slideshow.
This research has been conducted with partial support from the National Science Foundation (NSF), the United States Department of Energy (DOE), IBM Corporation, the United States Army, Taiwan National Science Council and Central Weather Bureau, and others.
Purdue Regional Climate Model (PRCM)
- Surface Processes (Bosilovich and Sun 1995, Sun and Chern 2005, Chern and Sun 2000)
- Grid scale Cloud (Lin et al. 1983, Rutledge and Hobbs 1983, Chern 1994)
- Cumulus Cloud (Anthes 1978, Molinari 1982, Kain and Fritsch 1993, Betts and Miller 1986, Sun and Haines 1996)
- Dynamics (Hydrostatic, Terrain-following, Arakawa C Grid, Forward-Backward, Semi-Lagrangian, Time splitting, θei as thermo-dynamic variables)
- Turbulence Mixing (Sun and Ogura 1980, Sun and Chang 1986, Sun 1993)
- Aerosols Dynamics (Yang 2004a)
- Radiation (Harshvardhen 1988, Liou et al. 1988, Chou and Suarez 1994)
- Atmospheric Chemistry (Yang 2004b)