Information on LGBTQ Identities
- "Answers to Your Questions About Sexual Orientation" from the American Psychological Association (APA)
- "Answers to Your Questions About Transgender Individuals and Gender Identity" from the American Psychological Association (APA)
Diversity Welcome Syllabus Statement
In this course, each voice in the classroom has something of value to contribute. Please take care to respect the different experiences, beliefs and values expressed by students and staff involved in this course. We support Purdue's commitment to diversity, and welcome individuals of all ages, backgrounds, citizenships, disability, sex, education, ethnicities, family statuses, genders, gender identities, geographical locations, languages, military experience, political views, races, religions, sexual orientations, socioeconomic statuses, and work experiences. Visit the Division of Diversity and Inclusion website.
LGBTQ Campus and Community Events
- Gaypril. This is an annual series of events occurring both on and off campus each April. Programs include social activities, educational workshops, distinguished lecturers, artistic and cultural performances, and much much more!
- Lavender Graduation. Purdue University holds a special ceremony for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer/Questioning, or Ally graduates. Funded by the office of the Vice Provost for Diversity and Inclusion, this event honors the achievements of the LGBTQ community's graduating class and commemorates the great strides made at Purdue toward improving the experiences of all LGBTQ members of our community. Graduates from all programs (including graduate students) are invited to participate. Participation is at no charge.
- OUTfest. Pride Lafayette, Inc., in conjunction with the Purdue LGBTQ community and other local organizations, hosts OUTfest: Tippecanoe County Pride Celebration each August in downtown Lafayette. The purpose of OUTfest is to increase public awareness of the LGBTQ community, and to celebrate diversity among family, friends, and allies.
- National Coming Out Day. National Coming Out Day is an international event to raise awareness about the lives of gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgender people. Centered around National Coming Out Day - observed on Oct. 11 - the event marks the anniversary of the 1987 national march for gay and lesbian rights in Washington, DC. The event is aimed at making Purdue a more inclusive and welcoming campus community through sharing resources and high impact programming.
Campus LGBTQ Resources
- Student Organizations
- Counseling Services
Lafayette-West Lafayette Community LGBTQ Resources
Regional LGBTQ Offices and Centers
- Indiana University
- Penn State University
- Michigan State University
- University of Michigan
- University of Chicago
- University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
- University of Wisconsin
- University of Iowa
- Iowa State University
- Midwest Bisexual Lesbian Gay Transgender Ally College Conference (MBLGTACC). This is an annual conference held to promote leadership, activism, networking, diversity, health, and empowerment among gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, intersex, and allied students, staff, and faculty around the United States and Canada.
- NASPA - Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education
- ACPA - College Student Educators International
- Consortium of Higher Education Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Resource Professionals
- Parents, Families, and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG)