Embajadores Mentor Program
The Embajadores Mentor Program is designed to assist local high school students on their journey to college. The goals are to provide group and one-on-one mentoring so that mentees feel they are connected to the college experience. This program is not intended to recruit high school students to Purdue but to enhance the appreciation for a higher education beyond high school. Ultimately, the program makes sure that friendships, networking, and trust are established during and beyond the program. We are supported by Purdue University’s Latino Cultural Center. Our mentors are well-rounded Purdue students in good academic standing. Every school year we focus on enriching our Mentees with college awareness. We do this by pairing Mentees with our Mentors and by providing valuable resources.
- To reach out to Lafayette Jefferson High School Latino students.
- To encourage and assist Latino high school students about getting in and succeeding in higher education.
- To provide resources to the mentees that will help them prepare and attain a post-secondary education, while giving them the necessary skills to complete high school.
- To ensure that Latino high school students go into post-secondary education and graduate.
- Be a registered Purdue student in good standing with the University
- Maintain a 2.5 overall G.P.A. or higher
- Be an active participant
- Commit at least one hour a week of volunteer service to the LCC
- Passion to contribute and celebrate Latino culture!
- Activities are designed to assist in the collegiate preparation process.
- Mentors work hard to provide valuable information on processes such as taking the SAT or ACT, applying for Financial Aid, applying for scholarships, and how to write your application essays for college.
- Additionally, campus tours, class visits, and leadership programs are included.
When & Where
- Activities are typically held 1 or 2 times a month.
- Activities are primarily held at Jefferson High School. Parents and siblings are always welcome!
Is It Fun?
- The Mentor Program is designed for everyone to enjoy this wonderful time of transitioning from high school to college.
- For most activities, food is provided!
- This atmosphere provides a relaxing environment to enjoy friendship and getting great information about college.