Understanding Primary Prevention
Primary prevention efforts take place before violence occurs to prevent initial perpetration or victimization.
What primary prevention IS:
- Working with men and boys to promote positive social norms;
- Building bystander skills; and
- Promoting healthy respectful relationships.
What primary prevention IS NOT:
- Raising awareness of sexual violence and/or intimate partner violence;
- Knowing what services are available to survivors;
- Learning how to help a friend who has been abused.