Human Resources home page HUMAN RESOURCES
calculating you HSA

Not much money in your HSA yet? What can you do?

Is 2014 your first year to have a health savings account (HSA)? If so, you’re in good company. Thousands of Purdue faculty and staff selected a medical plan with an HSA for the first time this year.

You may have experience with a health care flexible spending account (FSA), which gives you access on Jan. 1 to the full amount you elected for the year. However, with an HSA, the money must actually be in your account – through your contributions, Purdue’s contributions or both – before funds are available to you. That’s an IRS rule.

So, what can you do while you’re waiting for your HSA to plump up? Pay for the expenses through some means other than your HSA debit card. Then, when you have enough funds in your account, go to the PayFlex HealthHub website and reimburse yourself.

To transfer the funds to your personal bank account:

  • Go to
  • Click “Make an HSA Withdrawal” from the orange Quick Links box on the left side of the screen.
  • Choose “Link My Bank Accounts” from the green My Health Savings Account box on the left side of the screen. Follow the instructions to link your personal bank account to your HSA. Linking of the accounts doesn’t happen immediately, so you may want to set up your linked account now to have it ready when you need it.
  • After your account is linked, transfer funds from your HSA to the account.

To receive a reimbursement check:

  • Go to
  • Go to the “Financial Center – My Accounts” section in the main body of the page.
  • Find the orange and white Health Savings Account box, and click “View Account Details” at the bottom of the box.
  • Click “Make an HSA Payment” in the green My Health Savings Account box on the left side of the screen.
  • Click the “+” sign next to the picture of the Rolodex-type card file.
  • Enter your name and address to add yourself as a new payee.
  • Send yourself a payment.

If you’ve had a large expense that you’re finding tough to pay without enough money yet in your HSA, contact your health care provider. You may be able to work out a payment plan that matches the timing of new payday contributions going into your HSA.

In all cases, be sure to keep documentation to show that the money you used from your HSA was for eligible expenses. You can scan and upload your documentation to the HealthHub site, if you wish, or simply keep a copy with your tax return for the year.

If you have questions about your HSA or the HealthHub website, contact the HR Service Center at 765-494-2222 or You may also contact PayFlex directly at its Purdue customer service phone number, 888-879-1454.

Copyright © 2014, VP Human Resources, All rights reserved.
Freehafer Hall of Administrative Services (FREH) - 401 S. Grant St., West Lafayette, IN 47907

Link to Purdue University