Protect yourself, your family from the flu
It’s that time of year again … bonfires, football and S’mores are among the things that make the fall season a favorite. However, keep in mind it’s also the start of flu season. Flu season begins in the fall and usually peaks in January or February. Now is the time to take precautions to help you and your family stay flu free this season.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends a flu vaccine as the first and most important step in protecting against flu viruses. It is also recommended that everyone 6 months of age and older get a flu vaccine as soon as the vaccines are available.
To make it easy and convenient for faculty and staff, the Center for Healthy Living on Purdue’s West Lafayette campus will be providing seasonal flu shots at various locations this fall. You don’t need an appointment - just walk in when it’s convenient, bring your PUID or Anthem medical plan ID card and get your flu shot. It’s really that simple.
Seasonal flu shots are provided at no charge to all benefits-eligible faculty and staff and retirees attending these events. Spouses and same-sex domestic partners who are covered on a Purdue medical plan are also eligible to attend and get a flu shot at no charge.
Along with getting your annual flu shot, there are everyday preventive actions you can take to help stop the spread of germs.
- Wash your hands with soap and water – or use an alcohol-based sanitizer. Clean hands help prevent the spread of germs.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze and dispose of the tissue immediately.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces and objects at work and home – such as your phones, keyboard, door knobs.
- Try and avoid contact with individuals who are sick.
- If you are sick, the CDC recommends you stay home for at least 24 hours after your fever is gone.
Dates and times for the on-campus flu shot events are available online at the Center for Healthy Living. Can’t make it to the campus events? Alternate options are also available online. If you have any questions, please call Human Resources at 49-42222 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Remember, you can be a flu fighter, too!