Proposed staff evaluation policy addresses University-wide performance review standards
The Office of the Vice President for Human Resources has worked with representatives from across Purdue’s four campuses to draft a staff evaluation policy. HR Vice President Luis Lewin will present the policy draft to Purdue’s Executive Policy Review Group for evaluation later this year. We anticipate that the policy will be approved before the end of the 2011 calendar year.
Staff evaluations, or performance reviews, are not new to the University. Some areas have invested considerable time and resources to build very impressive systems. The proposed policy will enable departments to continue using their existing technology and processes, while at the same time providing broad, overarching standards to support the staff evaluation process system-wide. For those departments that are seeking alternative forms and tools, Human Resources will provide optional templates.
Listed below are several proposed policy provisions.
- The policy would take effect July 2013, providing the time needed for change management and communications.
- All benefits-eligible staff members would receive an annual evaluation and would acknowledge this via a physical or electronic signature.
- All supervisors and employees would receive orientation and training on the policy’s provisions.
- All staff evaluation forms would be required to capture the staff member’s level of achievement concerning mission critical responsibilities and key professional development goals.
- Staff members who have issues related to the proper application of the policy’s provisions would have a mechanism to have their concerns reviewed.
Watch for more details as the policy continues through the review process. If you have questions concerning this article, please forward them to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Adedayo Adeniyi, director
Leadership and Organizational Development
Return to the August 2011 issue
Visit the LeadingEdition index of articles and past issues.
LeadingEdition is an electronic newsletter for Purdue University supervisors. It is produced and distributed by Purdue University Human Resources four times annually. If you have questions, comments or suggestions relating to the newsletter, please call 49-41679 or email us. Thank you.