Background check policy now effective for all faculty, staff positions
The new University-wide Background Check Policy went into effect on May 1, 2011. All faculty and staff positions posted on or after that date are subject to the policy; student positions are not included.
- Criminal history and sexual offender registry checks are required for all new hires. On the West Lafayette campus, a central account managed by the Vice President for Human Resources will pay for these checks; there will be no cost to the hiring department.
- Additional checks, such as verification for education and certifications, as well as credit history checks, may be required based upon job responsibilities. Positions with the same or similar job responsibilities will require the same or similar background checks. On the West Lafayette campus, the hiring department will pay for these additional checks. On each campus, Human Resources is available to assist in coordinating the background check process. The schedule of fees is available online.
- Our vendor contact specifies that a background check will take less than three business days or 72 hours. Awaiting the background check will not limit a department's ability to make an offer of employment or to establish a candidate's hire date.
- When a finding adversely impacts employment eligibility, the candidate will be notified and may be withdrawn from employment consideration only after Human Resources and the senior leader in the hiring area consult on the matter.
- Regional campus chancellors will establish procedures for their specific campuses.
If you have questions about this policy, please direct them to Brenda Coulson at 49-40603.
- Brenda Coulson, director
Visit the LeadingEdition index of articles and past issues.
LeadingEdition is an electronic newsletter for Purdue University supervisors. It is produced and distributed by Purdue University Human Resources four times annually. If you have questions, comments or suggestions relating to the newsletter, please call 49-41679 or email us. Thank you.