Long Term Care Insurance
Administered by Genworth
Long term care insurance provides coverage when a person needs substantial assistance with two or more “activities of daily living” or ADLs. These include things such as eating, dressing and moving from a bed to a chair. The person may receive care in his or her own home or at a facility, such as an assisted living residence or a nursing home.
The following resources are available for employees who may be interested in long term care insurance through Genworth Life Insurance Company:
- Genworth website: www.genworth.com/groupltc (group ID = Purdue, access code = groupltc)
Includes user-friendly online enrollment, plus tools to weigh costs and options.
- Genworth phone assistance: 800-416-3624
Provides customer service staff to answer questions. Also, those who don’t want to enroll online may call this number to request a paper enrollment application.
- Frequently asked questions
Guaranteed coverage for new faculty and staff, if elected within 60 days of hire
Newly hired benefits-eligible employees who meet the following qualifications will be accepted for long term care insurance coverage during the enrollment period:
- Ages 18 – 79
- Actively at work in a benefits-eligible Purdue position for 30 days prior to the coverage effective date
- Have a Social Security number
- Maintain a permanent U.S. residence
Others who are eligible to apply
The following individuals may apply for inclusion in the Purdue group long term care insurance program, subject to full underwriting approval.
- Benefits-eligible faculty and staff who did not elect coverage during the Spring 2012 open enrollment may apply at any time.
- Spouses and same-sex domestic partners under age 80.
- Parents, step-parents and corresponding in-laws under age 80.
- Children and step-children of employees between 18 and 80.
- Siblings of employees under age 80.
- Retirees and their surviving spouses under age 80.
Underwriting is the insurance industry’s process for determining whether to provide insurance to someone who has applied for coverage.
Simple plan design with options for flexibility
Those who decide to enroll in long term care insurance will make the following choices:
- Monthly benefit level ($3,000, $4,500, $6,000 or $7,500)
- Number of years of benefit coverage (three years or five years)
- Inflation protection option
Premiums will be based on the covered person’s age at the time coverage begins and on the options selected.
- Brief description of long term care insurance
- Let's Talk: Beginning conversations about long term care
- Beyond Dollars: Research findings on the circle of care and impact on those within it