Life Event (Change in Family Status) Benefit Elections

To submit new benefit elections when you have a life event or change in family status, sign on to EBenefits, Purdue's online benefits system.

Go to and click the EBenefits link in the right column of the Human Resources section. Sign on with your Purdue career account username and password.

Select the "My Life Event Changes" tab near the top of the screen or "Life Events" from the right-hand column.

All changes in family status, including graduate staff changes, are handled through EBenefits; paper forms are not required.

"Change in family status" is the Internal Revenue Service rule that allows you to adjust your benefit selections when unforeseen circumstances occur between open enrollments. Only specific events qualify as a change in family status.

Qualifying events include:

How it works

If a qualifying event occurs, you must report it within 31 days, and the family change must relate to the benefit change you are requesting. As an example, adding or dropping medical plan dependents is common in the case of birth, marriage or divorce.

If you don't request a change in benefits within the 31-day period following your family change, you cannot make changes until the next open enrollment period. 

  • If you are covered by a Federal Health Plan, voluntary loss of your spouse's employment does not qualify as a change in family status.
  • The change in family status provision doesn't apply to the health care flexible spending account program. A health care FSA cannot be modified, even if you have a change in family status.
  • Once you have a dependent care FSA, the account can only be modified during the open enrollment period. Outside of the open enrollment period, you can add a new dependent care FSA (with a new dependent) or drop it completely.
  • Switching medical plans mid-year is not allowed. You can only add or drop dependents from your current plan.
  • You may drop dental insurance mid-year only when you've gained coverage under another plan. To qualify for this benefit change through a change in family status, you will be required to furnish proof that you have gained dental coverage.

How to record a change in family status

  • Go to and click the EBenefits link in the right column of the Human Resources section. Log into the EBenefits system with your Purdue career account username and password.
  • Click the “My Life Event Changes” tab.
  • Submit your event, and then follow the process that will show up after you hit Submit.
EBenefits link

Purdue University, 610 Purdue Mall, West Lafayette, IN 47907, (765) 494-4600

2015 Purdue University | An equal access/equal opportunity university | Copyright Complaints | HR Communications

If you have trouble accessing this page because of a disability, please contact HR Communications at