Family and Medical Leave (Unpaid Leave) Act (FMLA) Leave
To be eligible for FMLA leave, an employee must have been employed by the University for at least 12 months (consecutive or non-consecutive) and have worked at least 1,250 hours during the 12-month period preceding the date FMLA leave commences.
- An employee meeting the above requirement is eligible for a maximum of 12 weeks of unpaid leave for the following reasons:
- The employee's own serious health condition
- Birth of a child
- Adoption of a child or placement of a child for foster care
- Bonding with the child during the first 12 months following birth or placement
- Serious health condition of a parent, spouse, or child
During FMLA leave, the employee pays his or her regular portion of group insurance premiums and the University continues its usual contribution. For additional questions regarding leaves processing and eligibility, please contact the HR Service Center.
Paid Parental Leave
Purdue University provides Paid Parental Leave to benefits-eligible employees, including graduate student employees, due to the birth of an employee's child or the placement within an employee's home of an adopted child. This policy will run concurrently with Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) leave, in cases where an employee is eligible for FMLA leave.