Jump to other news and events
Purdue signature

Dependent Eligibility Verification Program

Frequently Asked Questions

How can I verify if my dependent audit verification documentation has been received?

Please contact the Purdue Dependent Information Verification Service Center at 1-866-580-4445, Monday through Friday between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., Eastern Time.

What is the definition of an eligible dependent and what is acceptable proof of eligibility?

The types of eligible dependents and the documents that would be acceptable proof of eligibility are listed on the enclosed Dependent Eligibility Matrix. The definition of an eligible dependent can also be found on the Staff Benefits website www.purdue.edu/benefits.

Why is Purdue requiring proof of my dependent's eligibility?

Purdue needs to ensure that only eligible dependents are covered under the Plans. During these uncertain economic times, it's critical that Purdue continue its legacy of strong fiscal management. This includes negotiating cost-effective plans, managing provider performance, and ensuring the integrity of eligibility data. Ineligible dependents enrolled in Purdue medical plans increases costs – both for you and the University.

Why is Purdue requiring me to provide SSNs for my covered dependents.

As a health plan sponsor, Purdue University is required to provide certain information to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). This information is designed to help CMS determine when Medicare-covered individuals have group health coverage that should pay the primary benefit, with Medicare or Medicaid paying as secondary coverage. The information required from CMS includes the Social Security numbers of all dependents enrolled in Purdue medical plans. Because the University does not currently have dependent Social Security numbers on file, you are being asked to provide this information at this time.

What if I do not have an SSN for my newborn child?

A newborn child's Social Security number should be provided to Staff Benefits as soon as it is obtained. At this time please indicate “New Born” in the SSN space provided.

May I provide my SSN by phone to a Purdue Dependent Information Verification Service Center representative?

No. All SSNs must be provided in writing on your Dependent Eligibility Verification Check-List. Purdue Dependent Information Verification Service Center representatives are not permitted to record your SSN on your behalf.

What if I do not have a copy of my dependent's birth certificate, marriage certificate, etc.?

There are several resources that are available to you obtain the required documentation. We suggest that you start with the National Center for Health Statistics: www.cdc.gov/nchs/howto/w2w/w2welcom.htm or www.vitalrec.com.

What if I do not have a copy of my last tax return?

You can obtain, free of charge, an official transcript of your tax return by reviewing the information provided by the IRS at www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc156.html?portlet=1 or by calling 1-800-829-1040. You may also contact your electronic tax vendor for a copy or use another verification method listed on the matrix in your Dependent Eligibility Verification Package.

How do I know my information will be kept confidential?

Mercer is considered a "Business Associate" under HIPAA regulations since we perform functions and activities on behalf of "Covered Entities" who are Plan Administrators and Plan Sponsors of employer group Health Plans. As a business associate, Mercer receives protected health information when providing services, but maintains a contractual obligation with all of our clients to protect this information and adhere to HIPAA privacy and security regulations.

What does Mercer do with the copies of important documents that I send to them?

A. All hardcopy documentation is delivered to a restricted access room and does not leave that room for the duration of the project. Materials that contain sensitive information are stored in locked cabinets or drawers when not in use. At the end of the project, hardcopy documentation is securely destroyed.

Who at Mercer will have access to my personal information?

A. Access to information is granted on a least-privilege and need-to-know basis. Within software applications, a hierarchy of controls limits access to data and system functionality according to levels of authority and job function. Access to information requiring elevated privileges is restricted to a limited number of Mercer administrative staff who require the information to perform their jobs.

Who at Purdue will have access to my personal dependent eligibility information?

A. Purdue will only receive a report of employees who don't comply with the requirements of the Dependent Eligibility Verification. Mercer will use secure methods to send the information to Purdue and will identify employees by PUID number, not Social Security number.

Following this Dependent Eligibility Verification project, new employees and those filing certain Change in Family Status requests will provide dependent information directly to Purdue. Purdue will handle the information following established privacy and security measures .

If Mercer needs more information from me, how will they contact me?

A. Unless you have given Mercer instructions to do otherwise, all communications, including requests for additional information, will be made in writing.

What should I do if I realize that one of my listed dependents is no longer eligible?

If any of your listed dependents are no longer eligible, you can indicate on the Dependent Eligibility Verification Check-List that the dependent is to be dropped from coverage. Please mark an “X” in the column provided to indicate this dependent is to be dropped from coverage as he or she is no longer eligible.

The identification of ineligible individuals will not result in any cost to you or the loss of coverage to any other eligible individual, such as an eligible employee or an eligible employee's spouse or eligible dependent children.

All changes you make to your coverage records during this verification process will be confirmed at the end of the verification period in writing and sent to your personal address on record. You will receive this written confirmation by June 15, 2009. If you remove ineligible individuals, and do not receive written confirmation by June 15, 2009, it is your responsibility to contact Staff Benefits to confirm the individuals have been removed and to request a copy of your confirmation statement.

Can I make changes to my benefit elections for 2009 using this document?

No. The Dependent Information Verification Program cannot accept requests for changes to your benefit coverage.

I received a New Life Insurance Program Enrollment Kit. Does the Dependent Eligibility Verification Program have anything to do with the New Life Insurance Program?

No. Enrollment for the New Life Insurance Program and the Dependent Eligibility Verification Program are two separate activities that the University is sponsoring. Please be sure that you know the deadlines for each program to ensure that you participate in both in a timely fashion.

Can I add an eligible dependent that is not listed on my Check-List?

No. You may not add eligible dependents as part of this verification process. However, new dependents may be added during the annual open enrollment period or within 30 days of a qualifying change in family status event. Please contact Staff Benefits for further information.

The date of birth for one of my listed dependents is incorrect. What should I do?

Please contact Staff Benefits to have your information corrected. In addition, continue to complete your Check-List and return it along with the supporting proof documentation to the Purdue Dependent Information Verification Service Center.

What will happen if I do not respond or if I submit an incomplete response?

It is important that you follow the instructions and respond with the required documentation by the due date outlined in the packet. If the required documentation is not received by May 13, 2009, dependents that have not successfully completed the verification program requirements will be dropped from coverage under the plans.

Knowingly covering ineligible dependents is unacceptable and, for a number of reasons, can lead to unfavorable tax and legal consequences for Purdue, the employee, and the ineligible individual.

What happens if I do everything I'm supposed to do, but my dependent insurance coverage is cancelled anyway?

A. Such situations will be handled on a case-by-case basis. Purdue will work in partnership with Mercer to resolve any errors and ensure that eligible dependents continue to be insured.

Can I fax my Check-List and accompanying documentation instead of mailing them?

Yes. If you wish to fax in your response, you can fax the information to the Purdue Dependent Information Verification Service Center at 1-866-677-0334. This is a secure electronic fax service. Only Purdue Dependent Information Verification Service Center team members have access to the secure repository that stores your fax.

Please ensure that you verify that all pages have been sent to the correct fax number successfully by checking the fax transmittal report. Be sure to keep a copy of this transmittal report.

I am currently living with someone of the opposite sex. Can I enroll my unmarried opposite-sex partner in the health care plan?

No. U.S. law allows persons of the opposite sex to marry and receive full spousal benefits. Partners of the same-sex are currently not allowed to marry in most states, and therefore do not have the same option of obtaining spousal benefits and privileges through marriage. Purdue recognizes that this gap exists and is providing a means for all employees to have equal access to University-provided benefits.

Where do I obtain more information on enrolling a same-sex domestic partner or get a copy of the Same-Sex Domestic Partner Informational Packet?

You can contact Staff Benefits for a copy of the Same-Sex Domestic Partner Informational Packet, or you can find it on the Staff Benefits website www.purdue.edu/benefits. Click the “Benefits Eligibility” link on the left of the page and then click the “Same sex domestic partners” link.

Can I cover my same-sex domestic partner's children without covering my same-sex domestic partner?

No. To cover children of a same-sex domestic partner, you must cover the same-sex domestic partner.

My dependent documentation was issued in a foreign country and is not in English. Do I need to provide a copy of the document translated into English to be acceptable?

Yes. Any document provided as proof of eligibility that is in a foreign language (such as marriage certificate or birth certificate) must be translated 'word for word' into English and certified with a letter of accuracy from a professional translator who is skilled in the 'translated to' language. The translator must supply a statement of work indicating that to the best of his or her knowledge the supplied translation is accurate and that he or she is competent. Be sure to submit a photocopy of the original foreign language document, the 'word for word' English translation, and the letter of accuracy from a professional translator.

The above questions and answers are intended to address briefly some commonly asked questions regarding the Dependent Edibility Verification Program. If you need further information related to your dependents or the proof of eligibility required to satisfy the dependent eligibility requirements, contact the Purdue Dependent Information Verification Service Center from April 2 through May 13, 2009, at 1-866-580-4445, Monday through Friday between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., Eastern Time.