Charles V. and Audrey Palm Riker Fund
This scholarship is only available to students in the Department of Human Development and Family Studies (HDFS).
This fund was established in recognition of the teaching and counseling career of Professor Charles V. Riker, who served the University from 1959 to 1983 as a professor in HDFS, and his spouse, Audrey Palm Riker, a clinical psychologist. HDFS students participating in a study abroad program that incorporates activities relating to children who are economically disadvantaged are eligible to apply for the Riker Fund scholarship.
February 13, 2015
Criteria and selection:
Applicants must be majoring or minoring in an HDFS program of study and have an overall GPA of at least 3.0. The scholarship applies only to study abroad programs that feature one or more activities relating to children who are economically disadvantaged.
Awards range from $1,000 to $2,000. Recipients are selected by the Riker Fund selection committee with approval from the HDFS Head.
- Submit a two-page essay (double spaced) covering the following topics:
- Why you would like to participate in a Study Abroad program and what you expect to gain from it.
- How this study abroad experience relates to your educational objectives and career aspirations.
- Describe any financial constraints you are facing. If applicable, describe changes in financial standing (i.e. recent loss of income), additional family expenses due to illness or death, or other unique circumstances (i.e. non-contributing parent, loss of aid/scholarship, etc.)
- How you will share the study abroad experience with others.
- Provide your official up-to-date transcript from Purdue University.
- Provide your current resume.
- Provide two letters of recommendation: one must be from a faculty or staff member at Purdue. Each letter should be accompanied with the completed recommendation form.
- Submit all documents by February 13, 2015.
Denise Buhrmester, Director of Communications, HHS Dean’s Office, Stone Hall, Room 110, West Lafayette, IN 47907 Tel: 765-496-3663
2013-2014 Meghan Loeser (Child & Youth Development in China); Lisa Zehrung (Child & Youth Development in China)
2012-2013: Alicia Vega (Costa Rica); David Rubio, Jr. (Costa Rica); Kaitlin Cannon (Costa Rica); Megan Neher (Costa Rica); Anyea Livers (SLHS in Zambia)
2011-2012: Kira Reisert (India)