Ph.D. Application Information
The deadlines to apply to the Ph.D. program are January 1st for Fall semester and August 1st for Spring semster. If you do not require funding or if you are not applying for a dual track degree (that is, you are not applying for an MS or AUD at the same time as the Ph.D. degree) the deadlines are March 1st for Fall and October 1st for Spring.
The following items are required and must be submitted by the deadline date in order for your application to be complete and eligible for faculty to review:
1. "Apply Yourself" online application (Purdue Graduate Application)
2. Application fee
3. Statement of purpose (Guide to Writing a Statement)
4. Three letters of recommendation (How to choose Recommenders)
5. Official transcripts of all institutions attended. International transcripts must be sent to Purdue in their original form and in translation, along with copies of any diplomas awarded.
Please send transcripts to:
Speech, Language, & Hearing Sciences
500 Oval Drive, Heavilon Hall
c/o Vicki Black, Graduate Secretary
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2038
6. Official GRE test scores
7. For those whose first-language is not English, we require official test scores from either TOEFL iBT or IELTS . Please note, the Department of Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences (SLHS) has higher minimum requirements than what has been set by the Purdue University Graduate School. Also, SLHS does not waive the requirement even if you have earned a degree within the past 24 months from an institution where English is the primary language of instruction. English proficiency test scores are required of all international applicants whose first language is not English.
In order to be offered funding, TOEFL iBT must have a minimum total score of 100 with minimum individual scores of speaking, 28; writing, 22; listening, 22; and reading, 22
IELTS must have a minimum score of 8.0 with no single band score lower than 7.0