The new Lyles-Porter Hall (LYLE) will combine the departments of Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences, clinical facilities and medical education (IU School of Medicine - Lafayette). Construction is anticipated to be complete in late spring 2014 with the facility being operational for fall semester 2014.
The Department of Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences (SLHS) was founded in 1935 by Professor M. D. Steer, one of the first doctoral students trained in the then new discipline of human communication sciences and disorders. Originally located in University Hall, the department's primary function was to provide speech therapy to university students. A year later, an undergraduate academic training program was started. The graduate program began in 1940 and our first doctoral degree was granted in 1948. The SLHS program was one of the first in the country to achieve accreditation in both speech pathology and audiology from the Educational Standards Board of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association and we maintain a national and international reputation as one of the finest academic, clinical, and research programs in the field.