Undergraduate Research Opportunities
PSY 390 is a course enabling students to become involved in psychological research on a wide range of topics. Students work as research assistants on projects managed by a faculty member or graduate student in the Department of Psychological Sciences.
The PSY 390 experience has benefits such as:
- helping students understand more fully how psychology research is conducted
- providing hands-on experience in data collection
- learning other research skills such data analysis, interpretive, and/or interpersonal skills
- allowing students to assess whether research is a desirable component of their careers
- developing contacts for future letters of recommendation and job references
- enhancing competitiveness in applications for graduate school in psychology or other professional schools or as candidates for employment in various fields (e.g., marketing, pharmaceutical sales, human resources, etc.)
During the 16-week fall or spring semester, students are expected to work 3 hours per week for every credit earned (e.g. 9 hours/week for a 3-credit PSY 390). During the 8-week summer session, students are expected to work 6 hours per week for every credit earned (e.g., 18 hours/week for a 3-credit PSY 390). Late enrollment in PSY 390 during any semester reduces the number of possible credit hours the students can earn.
Please note that only 6 credits of PSY 390 can be graded. Any additional credits must be taken on a pass / no pass basis. In addition, a maximum of 3 credit hours is eligible toward the degree requirements (see restrictions under Area C of the PSY major bingo sheet: http://www.purdue.edu/hhs/codo/documents/plans_of_study/PSY_PSYS.pdf)
Current PSY 390 Positions
Fall 2015 (all announcements in pdf format)
- Helie, Sebastien - MCCS
- Hennes, Erin - Social
- Hollich, George - Developmental
- Jagacinski, Carolyn - I/O
- Karpicke, Jeff - Cognitive
- Monteith, Margo - Social
- Rupp, Deborah - I/O
- Rollock, David - Clinical
- Samuel, Doug - Clinical
- Tay, Louis - I/O
- Tyler, Jim - Social
- Urcuioli, Peter - Cognitive
- Woo, Sang - I/O
- One Heart Source accepting applications for volunteer programs in Jamaica and South Africa
- Career Opportunities for Survey Specialists
- Entry deadline for Townsend Writing Competition is 4/17. 1st place award is $2500.
- Resources and tips for getting into clinical psych grad school
- 7th Annual Midwest Undergraduate Cognitive Science Conference 4/18/15 in Bloomington IN
- Application deadline for the Undergraduate Research & Poster Symposium is 3/13/15
- IABP is still accepting applications for Student Research Forum. Presentation form (word doc)
- University of Minnesota First Annual Diversity Weekend
- Summer Science Fellowship 6/13-7/25/15. Application deadline is 2/9/15.
- Undergraduate Summer Fellowship Program in Vision Science. Application deadline is 3/1/15.
- Spring 2015 Course Announcement: COM 45300, Reporting of Science News
- Villers Fellowship for Health Care Justice and the Wellstone Fellowship for Social Justice
- Clinton Global Initiative University at University of Miami 3/6-8
- Temple U. looking for highly qualified PhD students for Brain & Cognitive Sciences Program
- UNM Postbac Program now accepting applications for the PREP 2015-16 Cohort
- 2015 Summer Counselor Internship Positions at Florida International Univ
- Application deadline is May 1, 2015 for Undergraduate Research Travel Award
- Interested in conducting research on human-animal interactions at Purdue? Click for more info.
- Study Abroad Application Deadline
- Lafayette Crisis Center looking for volunteers
- Internship opportunity in scouting
- HANDS in Autism Center in Indy looking for students to work fall and spring semesters