Deadlines & Instructions
Students enter the graduate program in the Fall semester only. To be given consideration for Fall 2017 admission and financial aid, the completed application (i.e., the application, letters of recommendation, transcripts, test scores, statement) must be received no later than December 1, 2016.
The necessary application forms are available on-line on the Graduate School web page at: http://www.gradschool.purdue.edu/admissions
- Undergraduate cumulative grade point average: 3.0 on a 4.0 scale (or equivalent) required
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) required. The GRE test cannot be more than 5 years old at the time of application.
Non-Native English speakers must take one of the following exams and receive the minimum scores indicated:
- TOEFL IBT: Minimum score requriement: Written: 18, Speaking: 18, Listening: 14, Reading: 19. The minimum overall score required: 77.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS): Minimum score required: 7.0.
- Pearson Test of English (PTE): Minimum overall score reqired: 58.
The Graduate School will routinely waive the TOEFL/IELTS/PTE for applicants who have received a baccalaureate degree or graduate or professional degree, within the last 24 months, from a school where English is the primary language of instruction in a country/location where English is the native language.
The following materials are to be included with the on-line application:
- Statement of Purpose: (The statement of purpose should be 300-500 words concerning your purpose for undertaking or continuing graduate study, your reasons for wanting to study at Purdue, and your research interests, professional plans, and career goals. You also may explain any special circumstances applicable to your background and elaborate on your scholarly publications, awards, achievements, abilities, and/or professional history.)
- Transcripts: (applicants must obtain official transcripts from ALL institutions atttended and upload them to the online application. This process makes the transcripts "unofficial". These unoffical copies may be ussed for admission, however, an official copies will be required, if admitted) For more information and instructions on uploading unoffical transcripts, please click here.
- Curriculum Vita/Resume
- Three letters of recommendation
- $60 application fee for domestic applicants, and $75 application fee for international applicants
Please note that international applicants from non-English speaking countries must submit both native language transcripts and English translation. In addition, if you are an international applicant and have been awarded the Bachelor's degree, you must submit a copy of your diploma or certificate showing that the degree has been awarded.
The following items are to be sent directly by ETS to the department:
- GRE scores (have official scores sent directly from ETS to Institutional code: R1631, Department code: 2016).
- TOEFL Scores (have official scores sent directly from ETS to Institution code: R1631, Department Code: 08).
Please read our Application Frequently Asked Questions. For help contact:
Department of Psychological Sciences
Purdue University, 701 Third Street
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2004
Phone: (765) 494-6067
FAX: (765) 496-1264