Psychological Sciences Faculty
William G. Graziano
Professor, Social Area
Department of Psychological Sciences
703 Third Street
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2081 USA
Psychological Sciences, Room 2170
Telephone: (765) 494-7224
Degree: PhD (1976) Minnesota
Over the last 25 years, in collaboration with graduate and undergraduate students, we formed research teams to investigate specific interpersonal aspects of people orientation like attraction, cooperation, helping, and conflict. These seemingly different topics can be linked through motivation. To the best of my knowledge, we are the only research team in the world systemically investigating the Big Five dimension of agreeableness in terms of motivation to maintain good relations with others.
* = publication with graduate and undergraduate students
* Jensen-Campbell, L., Graziano, W. G., & West, S. G. (1995). Dominance, prosocial orientation, and female preferences: Do nice guys really finish last?Journal of Personality & Social Psychology, 68,427-440.
* Tobin, R. M., & Graziano, W. G., Vanman, E., & Tassinary, L. (2000). Personality, emotional experience, and efforts to control emotions.Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 79,656-669.
* Kieras, J. E., Tobin, R. M., & Graziano, W. G., & Rothbart, M. K. (2005). You can't always get what you want: Effortful control and children's reactions to undesirable gifts.Psychological Science. 16(5), 354-357.
* Sheese, B. E., & Graziano, W. G. (2005). Deciding to defect: The effects of video game violence on cooperative and competitive behavior.Psychological Science. 16(5), 391-396.
* Graziano, W. G., Bruce, J. W., Sheese, B. E. & Tobin, R. M. (2007). Attraction, personality and prejudice: Liking none of the people most of the time.Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 93(4)565-582.
* Graziano, W. G., Habashi, M., Sheese, B., & Tobin, R. M. (2007). Agreeableness, empathy, and helping: A person X situation perspective.Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 93(4)583-599.
* Bruce, J. W. & Graziano, W.G. (2008). Attraction and the initiation of relationships: A review of the empirical literature In S. Sprecher, A. Wenzel, and J.H. Harvey (Eds.)Handbook of Relationship Initiation. Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum.
* Graziano, W. G. & Habashi, M. M. (2010). Motivational processes underlying both prejudice and helping. Personality & Social Psychology Review.14 (3), 313-331.
* Graziano, W. G., Habashi, M. M., & Woodcock, A. (2011). Exploring and measuring differences in person-thing orientation. Personality & Individual Differences. 51, 28-33. DOI:10.1016/j.paid.2011.03.004.
* Tobin, R. M. & Graziano, W. G. (2011). The disappointing gift: Dispositional and situational moderators of children's emotional expressions. Journal of Experimental Child Psychology. 110 (2), 227-240. DOl: 10.1 016/j.jecp.20 11.0211.02.010.* Graziano, W. G., Habashi, M. M., Evangelou, D., & Ngambeki, I. (2012). Orientations and motivations: Are you a "people person," "thing person," or both? Motivation and Emotion. DOl 1 0.1007 Is 11031-011-9273-2.
* Woodcock, A., Graziano, W. G., Branch, S., Ngambeki, I., & Evangelou, D., & (2012). Engineering students' beliefs about research: Sex differences, personality and career plans. Journal of Engineering Education.l01(3), 1-17.* Woodcock, A., Graziano, W. G., Branch, S. E., Habashi, M. M., Ngambeki, I. & Evangelou, D. (2012). Person and thing orientations: Psychological correlates and predictive utility. Social psychological and personality sciences. 3 (2), Online Version April 24, 2012. DOl: 10.1177/ 1948550612444320.
* Graziano, W. G. & Tobin, R. M. (in press). The cognitive and motivational foundations underlying agreeableness. In M. D. Robinson, E. Watkins, & E. Harmon-Jones (Eds.), Handbook of Cognition and Emotion. New York: Guilford.
* Tobin, R.M., & Graziano, W.G. (in press). Delay of gratification: A review of fifty years of regulation research. In R. Hoyle (Ed.) Handbook of self-regulation and personality. Malden, MA: Blackwell.