Department of Nutrition Science (NUTR), College of Health and Human Sciences
700 West State Street
West Lafayette, IN 47907
- Lead, Cancer Prevention and Control, Oncological Sciences Center
- Organizing Committee, International Breast Cancer and Nutrition Program
- Director, Cancer Prevention Internship Program
- Breast Cancer Discovery Group Executive Committee, Purdue Center for Cancer Research
- B.S., Biology at Antioch College in 1976
- Ph.D., Human Nutrition and Nutritional Biology at University of Chicago in 1984
Awards & Honors
- University Faculty Scholar from Purdue University, 2011 - 2016
- Academic Leadership Program Fellow from Purdue University CIC, 2011 - 2012
- Susan Butler for Leadership Excellence Award from International Breast Cancer and Nutrition, 2012
- Breast Cancer Discovery Group Executive Committee, Purdue Center for Cancer Research from Purdue University, 2010
- Ingestive Behavior Research Center Member from Purdue University, 2009
- Seed for Success Recipient from Purdue University, 2009
- Faculty Award in Research of Merit Recipient , 2006
- Departmental Teaching Award from Foods and Nutrition, Purdue University, 2006
- Seed for Success Recipient from Purdue University, 2006
DiscoveryNutrition and Cancer
Vitamin D status is associated with a reduced incidence of several cancers, including prostate, colon and breast cancer. Dr. Teegarden's laboratory is investigating the role and the mechanism of vitamin D metabolites in regulation of proteins during cancer progression in breast cancer. Currently, the mechanism by which 1,25 dihydroxyvitamin D regulates energy metabolism is being investigated in breast cell model systems. In addition, the signaling pathways and the role of the nuclear vitamin D receptor mediating its effects are being explored.
Vitamin D and Muscle
Better vitamin D status is known to have a positive correlation with greater muscle mass and higher function as well as improved insulin sensitivity. Our laboratory is investigating the molecular mechanisms underlying these relationships in cell, animal and human models.
- Zheng, W., Tayyari F., Gowda, G.A.N., Raftery, D., McLamore, E.S., Porterfield, D.M., Donkin, S.S., Bequette, B., Teegarden, D. (2013) 1,25 Dihydroxyvitamin D regulation of glucose metabolism in Harvey-ras Transformed MCF10A human breast epithelial cells. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 138:81-89. PMID: 23619337.
- Teegarden, D., Romieu, I., and Lelievre, S.A. (2012) Redefining the impact of nutrition on breast caner incidence: Is epigenetics involved?. Nutr Res Rev. 25:68-95.
- Zou, M., Arentson, E.J., Teegarden, D., Koser, S.L., Onyskow, L., and Donkin, S.S. (2012) Fructose consumption during pregnancy and lactation induces fatty liver and glucose intolerance in rats. Nutr Res. 32:588-98.
- Carrillo, A.E., Flynn, M.G., Pinkston, C., Markofski, M.M., Jiang, Y., Donkin, S.S., and Teegarden, D. (2012) Vitamin D supplementation during exercise training does not alter inflammatory biomarkers in overweight and obese subjects. Eur J App Phys. 112:3045-52. PMCID: PMC3417103.
- Weaver, C.M., Campbell, W.W., Teegarden, D., Craig, B.A., Martin, B.R., Sing, R., Braun, M.M., Apolzan, J.A., Hannon, T.S., Schoeller, D.A., DiMeglio, L., Hickey, Y., and Peacock, M. (2011) Calcium, dairy products, and energy balance in overweight adolescents: A controlled trial. Am J Clin Nutr. 94(5):1163-1170. PMID 21918216; doi10.3945/ajcn.110.010264.
- Smilowitz, J.T., Wiest, M.M., Teegarden, D., Zemel, M.B., German, J.B., and Van Loan, M.D. (2011) Dietary fat and not calcium supplementation or dairy product consumption is associated with changes in anthropometrics during a randomized, placebo-controlled energy-restriction trial. Nutr Metab. 8(67)
- Teegarden, D., Lee, J.-Y., Adedokun, O., Childress, A., Parker, L.C., Burgess, W., Nagel, J., Knapp, D.W., Lelievre, S., Agnew, C.R., Shields, C., and Leary, J., Adams R, Jensen JD. (2011) Cancer Prevention Interdisciplinary Education Program at Purdue University: Overview and Preliminary Results. J Cancer Educ. 26:626-632.
- McLamore, E.S., Shi, J., Jaroch, D., Claussen, J., Uchida, A., Jiang, A., Banks, M.K., Buhman, K.K., Teegarden, D., and Rickus, J.L. (2011) A self-referencing platinum nanoparticle decorated enzyme-based microbiosensor for real time measurement of physiological glucose transport. Biosensors and Bioelectronics. 26:2237-2245.
- Jiang, Y., Zheng, W., and Teegarden, D. (2010) 1alpha, 25-Dihydroxyvitamin D regulates hypoxia-inducible factor-1alpha in untransformed and Harvey-ras transfected breast epithelial cells. Cancer Lett. 298:159-166.
- Li, J., Fleet, J.C., and Teegarden, D. (2009) Activation of rapid signaling pathways does not contribute to 1alpha,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3-induced growth inhibition of mouse prostate epithelial cells. J Cell Biochem. 107:1031-1036.
- Siddiqui, S.M.K., Change, E., Li, J., Burlage, C., Zou, M., Buhman, K.K., Koser, S., Donkin, S.S., and Teegarden, D. (2008) Dietary intervention with vitamin D, calcium and whey protein reduced fat mass and increased lean mass in rats. Nutrition Res. 28:783-790.
- Li, J., Byrne, M.E., Chang, E., Jiang, Y., Donkin, S.S., Buhman, K.K., Burgess, J.R., and Teegarden, D. (2008) 1alpha,25-Dihydroxyvitamin D hydroxylase in adipocytes. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 112(1):122-6.
- Gunther, C.W., Legowski, P.A., Lyle, R.M., McCabe, G.P., Eagan, M.S., Peacock, M., and Teegarden, D. (2005) Dairy products do not lead to alterations in body weight and fat mass in young women in a one year intervention. Am J Clin Nutr. 81:751-6.
- Adams, L.S. and Teegarden, D. (2004) 1,25-dihydroxycholecalciferol inhibits apoptosis in C3H10T1/2 murine fibroblast cells through activation of nuclear factor k B. J Nutr. 134:2948-52.
- Castillo, S.S. and Teegarden, D. (2003) Ceramide conversion to sphingosine-1-phosphate is essential for survival in C3H10T1/2 cells. J Nutr. 131:2826-30.
- Lin, Y.-C., Lyle, R.M., McCabe, L.D., McCabe, G.P., Weaver, C.M., and Teegarden, D. (2000) Calcium intake effects on two year changes in body composition in young women. J Am Coll Nutr. 19:754-760.
- Zheng, W., Tayyari, F., Gowda, G.A.N., Raftery, D., McLamore, E.S., Porterfield, D.M., Donkin, S.S., Bequette, B., Teegarden, D. Altered glucose metabolism in Harvey-ras transformed MCF10A cells. Molecular Carcinogenesis.
Books, Chapters & Monograph Publications
- Zheng, W., and Teegarden, D. (2013) Vitamin D. In: Handbook of Vitamins, 5th Edition. Janos Zemplani Ed(s).
- Teegarden, D. and Donkin, S.S. (2009) Vitamin D: Emerging new roles in insulin sensitivity. Nutr Res Rev. 22:82-92.
- Teegarden, D. and Gunther, C. (2008) Minerals and Food Intake: A Human Perspective. In: Appetite and Food Intake: Behavioral and Physiological Considerations. Harris, R. and Mattes, R Ed(s). Taylor and Francis, State/Country.
- Teegarden, D. (2005) Dietary Calcium and Obesity. In: Calcium in Human Health. Weaver, C.M. and Heaney, R.P Ed(s). Pp.327-339. Humana Press, Totowa, NJ.
- Teegarden, D. (2005) Dietary Calcium and the Metabolic Syndrome. In: Calcium in Human Health. Weaver, C.M. and Heaney, R.P Ed(s). Pp.401-409. Humana Press, Inc., Totowa, NJ.
|NUTR 60500||Nutritional Biochemistry and Physiology I: The goal is to provide a foundation to graduate students in the scientific concepts relevant to nutrient metabolism and nutrient-disease interaction. Topics covered in this semester include: cell biology of the intestine, nutrient transport, carbohydrate metabolism, and mineral metabolism.|