Department of Nutrition Science (NUTR)
700 West State Street
West Lafayette, IN 47907
- Ph.D., Food Science and Technology/Biochemistry and Biophysics (minor) at Oregon State University in 2004
Awards & Honors
- Editorial Board Member of Cancer Prevention Research, 2009 - Present
DiscoveryResearch in Dr. Stan's laboratory focuses on cancer prevention with diet-derived bioactive compounds. Our goal is to determine the cancer preventive activity of promising diet-derived bioactive compounds and to understand their mechanisms of action by identifying key molecular targets. Current research focuses primarily on pancreatic and breast cancer chemoprevention.
- Stan, S.D., Singh, S.V., Whitcomb, D.C., and Brand, R.E. (2013) Phenethyl isothiocyanate inhibits proliferation and induces apoptosis in pancreatic cancer cells in vitro and in a MIAPaca2 xenograft animal model. Nutrition and Cancer. doi: 10.1080/01635581.2013.795979.
- Stan, S.D., Singh, S.V., and Brand, R.E. (2010) Chemoprevention strategies for pancreatic cancer. Nature Reviews Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 7(6):347-356.
- Stan, S.D. and Singh, S.V. (2009) Transcriptional repression and inhibition of nuclear translocation of androgen receptor by diallyl trisulfide in human prostate cancer cells. Clinical Cancer Research. 15(15):4895-4903.
- Singh, S.V., Warin, R., Xiao, D., Powolny, A.A., Stan, S.D., Arlotti, J.A., Zeng, Y., Hahm, E.R., Marynowski, S.W., Bommareddy, A., Desai, D., Amin, S., Parise, R.A., Beumer, J.H., and Chambers, W.H. (2009) Sulforaphane inhibits prostate carcinogenesis and pulmonary metastasis in TRAMP mice in association with increased cytotoxicity of natural killer cells. Cancer Research. 69(5):2117-2125.
- Stan, S.D., Zeng, Y., and Singh, S.V. (2008) Ayurvedic medicine constituent withaferin A causes G2 and M phase cell cycle arrest in human breast cancer cells. Nutrition and Cancer. 60:51-606.
- Stan, S.D., Hahm, E.R., Warin, R., and Singh, S.V. (2008) Withaferin A causes FOXO3a- and Bim- dependent apoptosis and inhibits growth of human breast cancer cells in vivo. Cancer Research. 68(18):7661-7669.
- Singh, S.V., Powolny, A.A., Stan, S.D., Xiao, D., Arlotti, J.A., Warin, R., Hahm, E.R., Marynowski, S.W., Bommareddy, Potter, D.M., and Dhir, R. (2008) Garlic constituent diallyl trisulfide prevents development of poorly-differentiated prostate cancer and pulmonary metastasis multiplicity in TRAMP mice. Cancer Research. 68(22):9503-9511.
- Stan, S.D., Kar, S., Stoner, G.D., and Singh, S.V. (2008) Bioactive food components and cancer risk reduction. Journal of Cellular Biochemistry. 104(1):339-356.
- Herman-Antosiewicz, A., Stan, S.D., Hahm, E.R., Xiao, D., and Singh, S.V. (2007) Activation of a novel ataxia-telangiectasia mutated and Rad3 related/checkpoint kinase 1-dependent prometaphase checkpoint in cancer cells by diallyl trisulfide, a promising cancer chemopreventive constituent of processed garlic. Molecular Cancer Therapeutics. 6(4):1249-1261.
|NUTR 31500||Fundamentals of Nutrition|
|NUTR 63400||Nutrition and Cancer Prevention|
|NUTR 69500||INP Graduate Student Seminar|