Kathleen Hill Gallant
Department of Nutrition Science (NUTR)
700 W. State Street
West Lafayette, IN 47907
- B.S., Dietetics at University of North Dakota, Grand Forks, ND in 2005
- M.S., Kinesiology at University of North Dakota, Grand Fords, ND in 2006
- Ph.D., Nutrition at Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN in 2010
- Postdoc, Research in bone and mineral metabolism at Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN in 2013
Certificates & Licenses
- Certified Dietitian-Indiana Professional Licensing Agency 2009-present
- Registered Dietitian-Commission on Dietetic Registration 2005-present
Dissertation TitlePredictors of skeletal calcium accretion in adolescents from pooled metabolic balance studies
Awards & Honors
- NIH NIDDK Mentored Research Scientist Development Award (K01), 2015 - Present
- American Dietetic Association Foundation Scholarship, 2009 - 2010
- Lute Troutt Fellowship, Indiana Dietetic Association, 2009 - 2010
- Lynn Doctoral Fellowship, Purdue University, 2006 - 2007
- Keegan Graduate Scholarship, University of North Dakota, 2005 - 2006
- American Society for Bone and Mineral Research President's Poster Competition Winner, 2012
- American Society for Bone and Mineral Research President's Poster Competition Winner, 2011
- Alice L. Jee Memorial Young Investigator Award, International Bone and Mineral Society, 2011
- American Society for Nutrition/Nutrition Science Council Graduate Student Research Award finalist, 2010
- Graduate Student Award for Outstanding Teaching, Committee for the Education of Teaching Assistants, Purdue University, 2010
Activities & Memberships
- Member, Nutrition and Dietetic Educators and Preceptors, 2013
- Member, American Society of Nephrology, 2011
- Member, American Society for Bone and Mineral Research, 2007
- Member, American Society for Nutrition, 2007
- Member, Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 2004
DiscoveryChronic kidney disease (CKD) affects approximately 10 % of Americans and 45 % of those over the age of 65 years. Abnormal phosphorus metabolism resulting from loss of kidney function is a critical factor in developing CKD-mineral bone disorder (CKD-MBD), characterized biochemically by an increase in serum fibroblast growth factor-23, parathyroid hormone, and phosphate, and a decreased level of 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D. Consequences of CKD-MBD include bone disease and fracture, vascular calcification and cardiovascular disease, and ultimately increased mortality. In addition, serum phosphate is positively related to mortality in the non-CKD general population. My research program focuses on elucidating factors that influence and regulate intestinal absorption of dietary phosphorus using human clinical studies and translational research studies in animal models. The goal of this work is to develop strategies to control abnormal phosphorus metabolism and its consequences in CKD patients, as well as in the general population.
Additional research interests include: nutrition for optimal pediatric bone acquisition, and effects of obesity and diabetes on bone mass and quality.
- Berger P, Pollock N, Laine EM, Warden SJ, Hill Gallant KM, Hausman DB, Tipp R, McCabe LD, McCabe GP, Weaver CM, Peacock M, Lewis RD. (2014) Association of adenovirus 36 infection with adiposity and inflammotry-related markers in children. J Clin Endocrinol Metab.:epub ahead of print. PMID: 24926952.
- Hill Gallant KM, Gallant MA, Brown DM, Sato AY, Williams JN, Burr DB. (2014) Raloxifene prevents skeletal fragility in adult female Zucker Diabetic Sprague-Dawley Rats. PLoS One. 9(9):e108262. PMID: 25243714.
- Hill, K.M., Martin, B.R., Wastney, M.E., McCabe, G.P., Moe, S.M., Weaver, C.M., Peacock, M. (2013) Oral calcium carbonate affects calcium but not phosphorus balance in stage 3-4 chronic kidney disease. Kidney Int. 83:959-66. PMID: 23254903.
- Lewis RD, Laing EM, Hill Gallant KM, Hall DB, McCabe GP, Hausman DB, Martin BR, Warden SJ, Peacock M, Weaver CM.. (2013) A randomized trial of vitamin D3 supplementation in children: dose-response effects on vitamin D metabolites and calcium absorption. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 98(12):4816-25.
- Warden, S.J., Hill, K.M., Ferira, A.J., Laing, E.M., Martin, B.R., Hausman, D.B., Weaver, C.M., Peacock, M., Lewis, R.D. (2013) Racial differences in cortical bone and their relationship to biochemical variables in black and white children in the early stages of puberty. Osteoporosis Int. 24(6):1869-79. PMID: 23093348.
- Hill, K.M., Laing, E.M., Hausman, D.B., Acton, A., Martin, B.R., McCabe, G.P., Weaver, C.M., Lewis, R.D., and Peacock, M. (2012) Bone turnover is not influenced by serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D in pubertal healthy black and white children. Bone. 51(595)
- Grethen, E., Hill, K.M., Jones, R., Cacucci, B.M., Grupta, C.E., Acton, A., Considine, R., Peacock, M. (2012) Serum leptin, parathyroid hormone, 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D, fibroblast growth factor 23, bone alkaline phophates, sclerostin relationships in obesity. J Clin Endocinol Metab. 97:1655-62. PMID: 22362819.
- Hill, K.M., Jonnalagadda, S.S., Albertson, A.M., Josh NA, and Weaver C.M. (2012) Top Food Sources Contributing to Vitamin D Intake and the Association of Ready-to-Eat Cereal and Breakfast Consumption Habits to Vitamin D Intake in Canadians and United States Americans. J Food Sci. 77:H170-H175.
- Hill, K.M., Braun, M.M., Egan, K.A., Martin, B.R., McCabe, L.D., Peacock, M., McCabe, G.P., and Weaver, C.M. (2011) Obesity augments calcium-induced increases in skeletal calcium retention in adolescents. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 96(7):2171-77. PMID: 21490075.
- Hill, K.M., Whitehead, J.R., Goodwin, J.K. (2011) Pre-workout carbohydrate supplementation does not affect measures of self-assessed vitality and affect in college swimmers. J Sports Sci Med. 10:478-82. Other Information.
- Elble, A.E., Hill, K.M., Park, C.Y., Martin, B.R., Peacock, M., and Weaver, C.M. (2011) Effect of calcium carbonate particle size on absorption and retention in adolescent girls. J Am Col Nutr. 30(3):171-7. PMID: 21896874.
- Park, C.Y., Hill, K.M., Elble, A.E., Martin, B.R., DiMeglio, L.A., Peacock, M., McCabe, G.P., Weaver, C.M. (2010) Daily supplementation with 25 µg cholecalciferol does not increase calcium absorption or skeletal retention in adolescent girls with low serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D. J Nutr. 140(12):2139-44. PMID: 20962148.
- Hill, K.M., McCabe, G.P., McCabe, L.D., Gordon, C.M., Abrams, S.A., Weaver, C.M. (2010) An inflection point of serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D for maximal suppression of parathyroid hormone is not evident from multi-state pooled data in children and adolescents. J Nutr. 140(11):1983-1988. PMID: 20861214.
- Hill, K.M., Braun, M., Kern, M., Martin, B.R., Navalta, J.W., Sedlock, D.A., McCabe L., McCabe, G.P., Peacock, M., Weaver, C.M. (2008) Predictors of calcium retention in adolescent boys. J Clin Endocinol Metab. 93(12):4743-4748. PMID: 18840643.
Books, Chapters & Monograph Publications
- Bellido, T., Hill Gallant, K.M. (2014) Hormonal Effects on Bone Cells. In: Basic and Applied Bone Biology. Burr, D.B., Allen, M.R. Ed(s). Ch.Chapters. Pp.Pages. Academic Press/Elsevier, Waltham, MA. ISBN: 978-0-12-416015-6.
- Weaver, C.M., Hill Gallant, K.M., . (2014) Nutrition. In: Basic and Applied Bone Biology. Burr, D.B., Allen, M.R. Ed(s). Ch.Chapters. Pp.Pages. Academic Press/Elsevier, Waltham, MA. ISBN: 978-0-12-416015-6.
- Weaver, C.M., Hill, K.M. (2013) Osteoporosis: The Early Years. In: Nutrition in the Prevention and Treatment of Disease, 3rd edition. Coulston, A.M., Boushey, C.J., Ferruzzi, M.G. Ed(s). Ch.Chapters. Pp.Pages. Academic Press/Elsevier, Waltham, MA. DOI: 10.1016/B978-0-12-391884-0.00044-5.
- Weaver, C.M., Hill, K.M. (2010) Estimating Calcium Requirements. In: Nutritional Influences on Bone Health. Burckhardt, P., Dawson-Hughes, B., Weaver, C.M. Ed(s). Ch.Chapters. Pp.41-49. Springer-Verlag, London, UK. DOI: 10.1007/978-1-84882-978-7_6.
|NUTR 480||Medical Nutrition Therapy I|
|NUTR 481||Medical Nutrition Therapy II|
|NUTR 590||Basic Bone Biology|
|NUTR 590||Women's Health: Bone|