- B.S., Chemistry at Duke University in 1996
- M.S., Food Science and Nutrition at The Ohio State University in 1998
- Ph.D., Food Science and Nutrition at The Ohio State University in 2001
Digestive Stability, human intestinal cell uptake and biological activity of dietary chlorophyll derivatives
Awards & Honors
- Mary Rose Swartz Award - Young Investigator Award, American Society for Nutrition, 2011
- Samuel Cate Prescott Award, Institute of Food Technologist, 2010
- Outstanding Section Member, Institute of Food Technologist, 2006
Activities & Memberships
- Member, American Society for Nutrition (ASN)
- Member, American Chemical Society (ACS)
- Member, Institute of Food Technologist (IFT)
Phytochemical and botanical chemistry with focus on food pigments and flavonoids. Development of methodologies for determination of phytochemicals in food and biological matrices. Investigation of food processing effects on phytochemical profiles, bioavailability, and ultimate bioactivity. Development of strategies for incorporation and stabilization of phytochemicals in food systems.
- Goltz, S.R., Campbell, W.W., Chitchumroonchokchai, C., Failla, M.L., and Ferruzzi, M.G. (2012) Meal triacylglycerol profile modulates postprandial absorption of carotenoids in humans. Mol Nutr Food Res. 6:866-877. PMID 22707262.
- Goltz, S.M. and Ferruzzi, M. (2012) Factors affecting carotenoid bioavailability-Dietary Fat and Fiber. In: Carotenoids and Human Health, Volume 1 . Pp.111-129. Springer, City, State/Country. Other Information.
- Xu, Y., Simon, J.E., Ferruzzi, M., Ho, L., Passinetti, G.M., and Wu, Q. (2012) Quantification of anthocyanidins in the grapes and grape juice products with acid assisted hydrolysis using LC/MS. Journal of Functional Foods. 4(4):710-717. Other Information.
- Neilson, A.P., Ferruzzi, M., and Neilson, A.P. (2012) Bioavailability and Metabolism of Bioactive Compounds from Foods. In: Nutrition in Prevention and Treatment of Disease, Vol 3rd. 3rd Ed(s). Pp.407-427. Publisher, City, State/Country. Other Information.
- Wang, J., Ferruzzi, M.G., Ho, L., Blount, J., Janle, E., Gong, B., Pan, Y., Raftery, D., Arrieta-Cruz, I., Sharma, V., Cooper, B., Lobo, J., Simon, J., Cheng, A., Qian, X., Zhang, C., Ono, K., Teplow, D., Pavlides, C., Dixon, R., and Pasinetti, G. (2012) Brain-Targeted Proanthocyanidin Metabolites for Alzheimer's Disease Treatment. J Neuroscience. 32:5144-5150.
- Couston, A., Boushey, C. and Ferruzzi, M. (2012) Nutrition in Prevention and Treatment of Disease, 3rd Edition. In: Book Title. Editors Ed(s). Ch.Chapters. Pp.Pages. Academic Press/Elsevier, Inc., Waltham, MA. Other Information.
- Blount, J.W., Ferruzzi, M., Raftery, D., Pasinetti, G.M., and Dixon, R.A. (2012) Enzymatic synthesis of substituted epicatechins for bioactivity studies in neurological disorders. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications. 417(1):457-461. Other Information.
- Panranjpe, S., Ferruzzi, M., and Morgan, M.T. (2012) Effect of flash vacuum expansion on grape juice yield and quality. LTW-Food Science and Technology. 48(2):147-155. Other Information.
- Ferruzzi, M., Peterson, D.G., Singh, R.P., Schwartz, S.J., and Freedman, M.R. (2012) Nutritional Translation Blended with Food Science: 21st Century. Advances in Nutrition. 3(6):813-9. Other Information.
- Song, B.J., Jouni, Z.E., and Ferruzzi, M. Assessment of phytochemical content in human milk during different stages of lactation. Nutrition.:Pages. Other Information.
|FS 44300||Food Processing III|
|FS 69000||Food Product Development|