- B.A., Psychology at Bluffton University in 1998
- M.S., Nutrition Science at Purdue University in 2006
- Ph.D., Nutrition Science at Purdue University in 2009
- Post-Doc, Nutrition Science at Purdue University in 2012
The association of food insecurity to health and dietary outcomes in U.S. children
The research in Dr. Eicher-Miller's laboratory is focused on identifying health and nutrition disparities among food-insecure and low-resource populations to inform interventions that will improve food insecurity and health in these populations. Diverse approaches are used in the Eicher-Miller laboratory. Large, complex, representative datasets such as the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey are valuable for discovering associations of diet to health and to determining dietary patterns of intake representative of specified US populations. Community based studies are undertaken to investigate the effects of nutrition education, program, and policy interventions on food security, diet, and overall health. Engaging with communities in participatory research can inform the translation of discovery to maximize intervention impacts.
- Eicher-Miller, H.A., Fulgoni, V.L., and Keast, D.R. (2012) Contributions of processed foods to dietary intake in the US from 2003-2008. J. Nutr. 142:2065S-2072S.
- Khanna, N., Eicher-Miller, H.A., Boushey, C.J., Glefand, S.B., and Delp E.J.. (2011) Temporal dietary patterns using kernel k-means clustering. Proceedings IEEE - the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers International Symposium on Multimedia (ISM).:375-380.
- Eicher-Miller, H.A., Mason, A.C., Weaver, C.M., McCabe, G.P., and Boushey, C.J. (2011) Food insecurity is associated with diet and bone mass disparities in early adolescent males but not females in the United States. J Nutr. 111:1-8.
- Eicher-Miller, H.A., Mason, A.C., Abbott, A.R., McCabe, G.P., and Boushey, C.J. (2009) The effect of Food Stamp Nutrition Education on the food insecurity of low-income women participants. JNEB. 41:161-168.
- Eicher-Miller, H.A., Mason, A.C., Weaver, C.M., McCabe, G.P., and Boushey CJ. (2009) Food insecurity is associated with iron deficiency anemia in US adolescents. Am J Clin Nutr. 90:1358-71.
- Eicher-Miller H.A., Fulgoni V.L., Keast D.R. Contributions of processed foods to dietary intakes in the US from 2003-2008: A report of the Food and Nutrition Science Solutions Joint Task Force of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, American Society for Nutrition, Institute of Food Technologists, and International Food Information Council. J Nutr 2012; 142(11):2065S-2072S.
- Park C.Y., Eicher-Miller H.A. Food insecurity is associated with iron deficiency in pregnant women: NHANES 1999-2008; J Acad Nutr Diet 2014; 114(12):1967-73.
- Eicher-Miller H.A., Fulgoni V.L., Keast D.R. Energy and nutrient intakes from processed foods differ by sex, income status, and race/ethnicity of US adults. J Acad Nutr Diet 2015; Jun;115(6): 907-18.
- Eicher-Miller H.A., Fulgoni V., Keast D.R. Processed food contributions to energy and nutrient intake differ among US children by race/ethnicity. Nutrients. 2015 Dec 2;7(12):10076-88. doi: 10.3390/nu7125503.
- Eicher-Miller H.A., Khanna N., Boushey C.J., Gelfand S.B., Delp E.J. Temporal dietary patterns derived among the adult participants of NHANES 1999-2004 are associated with diet quality. J Acad Nutr Diet 2016 Feb;116(2):283-91.
- Bailey R.L., Looker A.C., Lu Z., Fan R., Eicher-Miller H.A., Fakhouri T.H., Gahche J.J., Weaver C.M., Mills J.M. B-vitamins and bone mineral density and risk of lumbar osteoporosis in older females in the U.S. Am J Clin Nutr 2015 Jul 29. Pii: ajcn 108787. [Epub ahead of print], In press.
Office: STON G-2