- B.S., Community Nutrition at University of Delhi, India in 1989
- M.S., Clinical Nutrition at East Tennessee State University, Johnson City, TN in 1994
- Ph.D., Human/Clinical Nutrition at University of North Carolina-Greensboro, Greensboro, NC in 2011
- Post-Doc, Cancer Prevention and Control at Wake Forest School of Medicine, Winston-Salem, NC in 2014
Certificates & Licenses
- Registered Dietitian-Commission on Dietetic Registration-current
Awards & Honors
- Real-World Experience Award, Purdue University Learning Communities, 2017
- Outstanding Reviewer, Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 2016
- School Spirit Award for the Coordinated Program in Dietetics, Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 2015 and 2016
- Emerging Leader award, Get Healthy Guilford (NC), 2009
- Service Recognition Award, North Carolina Dietetic Association, 2002
- Service Recognition Award, American Dietetic Association, 2000
- Recognized Young Dietitian of the Year, NC, 2000
Activities & Memberships
- Member, Purdue University Center for Cancer Research
- Member, Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Member, Nutrition and Dietetic Educators and Preceptors
- Member, American Society for Nutrition
- Member, Sigma Xi
Over 6 million American men and women live with a history of prostate or breast cancer. Some of the consequences of cancer treatments such as radiation, chemo and/or hormone therapies include increased systemic inflammation, fatigue and loss of bone mineral density, which greatly affect their health related quality of life. Our long-term goal is to identify evidence-based nutritional strategies for the cost and benefit-effective management of select cancer-treatment related side effects, using animal and human clinical studies.
- Zaslavsky O, Rillamas-Sun E, Wenjun L, Going SB, Datta M, Snetselaar L, Zelber-Sagi S. (2017) Association of dynamics in lean and fat mass measures with mortality in frail older women. The Journal of Nutrition, Health and Aging. 21(1):112-119.
- Datta M, Shaw E, Lesser G, Case LD, Vitolins M, Schneider C, Frizzell B, Sullivan C, Lively M, Franzmann E, Hu JJ. (2017) A randomized double-blind placebo-controlled trial of fruit and vegetable concentrates on intermediate biomarkers in head and neck cancer. Integrative Cancer Therapies. [Epub ahead of print] doi: 10.1177/1534735416684947.
- Datta M, Savage P, Lovato J, Schwartz GG. (2016) Serum calcium, albumin and tumor stage in cutaneous malignant melanoma. Future Oncology. 12(19);2205-2214.
- Campbell PT, Newton CC, Freedman ND, Koshiol, J, Alavanja MC, Beane-Freeman L, Boggs D, Buring JE, Chan AT, Chong D, Datta M, Gaudet MM, et al. (2016) Body mass index, waist circumference, diabetes and risk of primary liver cancer for U.S. adults. Cancer Research. 76(20):6076-6083.
- Zaslavsky O, Li W, Going SB, Datta M, Snetselaar L, Zelber-Sagi S. (2016) Association between body composition and hip fractures in older women with physical frailty. Geriatrics & Gerontology International. [Epub ahead of print] doi: 10.1111/ggi.12798.
- Datta M. (2015) Calcium and vitamin D in breast and prostate cancer: Implications for bone health. Oncology Nutrition Connection. 23(4):10-17 [CPE article]
- Datta M, Vitolins MZ. (2014) Food fortification and supplement use - Are there health implications? Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition. Jul 18:0. [Epub ahead of print]
- Datta M, Taylor M, Frizzell B. (2013) Dietary and serum lycopene levels in prostate cancer patients undergoing intensity-modulated radiation therapy. Journal of Medicinal Foods. 16(12):1131-1137.
- Prentice RL, Pettinger M, Jackson R, Wactawski-Wende J, LaCroix A, Anderson G, Chlebowski R, Manson JA, Van Horn L, Vitolins M, Datta M, LeBlanc E, Cauley J, Rossouw J. (2013) Health Risks and Benefits from Calcium and Vitamin D Supplementation: Women's Health Initiative Clinical Trial and Cohort Study. Osteoporosis International. 24(2):567-580.
- Rohan TE, Heo M, Choi L, Datta M, Freudenheim JL, Kamensky V, Kubo JT, Ochs-Balcom H, Qi L, Thomson C, Vitolins M, Wassertheil-Smoller S, Kabat GC. (2013) Body fat and breast cancer risk in postmenopausal women: a longitudinal study. Journal of Cancer Epidemiology. 13 doi: 10.1155/2013/754815.
- Datta M, Schwartz GG. (2013) Calcium and vitamin D supplementation and loss of bone mineral density in women undergoing breast cancer therapy. Critical Reviews in Oncology/Hematology. 88(3):613-624.
- Datta M, Schwartz GG. (2012) Calcium and Vitamin D Supplementation during Androgen Deprivation in Prostate Cancer: A Critical Review. The Oncologist. 17(9):1171-1179.
|NUTR 42600||Laboratory in Community Nutrition. The goal of this supervised practice experience is for the dietetic interns to apply acquired nutrition knowledge and communication skills in a community setting, such as school nutrition, health care facilities, and federal and/or state nutrition programs.|
|NUTR 44300||Laboratory in Food Service Systems Management. The goal of this supervised practice experience is to prepare dietetic interns for an entry-level job in foodservice management as well as provide them with the fundamentals of management required for the competent practice in other areas of dietetics.|
|NUTR 46100||Laboratory in Medical Nutrition Therapy. The goal of this supervised practice experience is for the dietetic interns to apply principles of nutrition, nutrition care process and communication skills to plan, monitor and evaluate medical nutrition therapy in diverse populations and perform as a competent entry-level clinical dietitian|
|NUTR 46500||Laboratory in Engagement. The goal of this supervised practice experience is for the dietetic interns to broaden their knowledge and skills in an interest area and explore future career opportunities in that area. Students may choose from one of the following tracks: foodservice, industry, nutrition-fitness-wellness-energy balance, community/public health, long-term care, medical nutrition therapy or research.|
Assistant Professor & Director, Coordinated Program in Dietetics
Office: STON 202
Address: 700 W. State Street, West Lafayette, IN 47907