Hospitality and Tourism Management
Our first-ranked undergraduate program will prepare you for a management career in the fast-paced hospitality industry. Coursework is challenging, relevant to the needs of today's employers, and you'll learn from faculty who bring years of industry experience into the classroom. A key component of the hospitality and tourism management program is hands-on learning and will prepare you to work in any facet of the industry including foodservice, lodging, and tourism.
You'll Have Help Finding a Job
- The HTM Career Center provides career-planning services and coordinates more than 700 interviews.
- The HTM Career Day brings representatives from the hospitality industry to campus each fall. Activities include a career fair, keynote address, and a reception for employers and students.
- Additional career fairs and assistance are offered through the Center for Career Opportunities.
- The Certificate in Entrepreneurship and Innovation is a great addition to complement your HTM Degree without adding additional credits.
- Purdue University has been ranked #4 in preparing students for the workforce by the Wall Street Journal.
Learn from Experience
- During the senior year, students take a capstone course that pulls all the hospitality management knowledge together as the class works in groups to make plans to build a hospitality business — from selecting a location site to a final operating establishment.
- All undergraduates must complete two paid internships.
- Students train in the school's two restaurants, the John Purdue Room (fine dining) and the Boiler Bistro (quick service).
- Opportunity to complete a 6-month paid internship at a Shangri-La Hotel in China or study abroad at various destinations around the world.
- director, convention and visitors bureau
- convention/event planner
- corporate travel manager
- hotel general manager
- hotel operations director
- restaurant owner/manager
- travel agency manager
- catering director
- country club manager
- food and beverage director
Where You Might Work
- convention and visitor bureaus
- convention centers
- corporate travel management
- cruise lines
- destination management
- event planning
- gaming entertainment
- sports arenas and recreation facilities
- state and national parks
- state tourism
- theme parks
- tour operations
- travel agencies
Take a Virtual Tour
Take a virtual tour of Marriott Hall - the Home of Purdue's top-ranked HTM program.
Sample Degree Requirements & Plan of Study
How do I switch my major?
If you are interested in switching your major to Hospitality and Tourism Management, please visit the Change of Degree Objective (CODO) page to learn more about the process to enter the College of Health & Human Sciences.
How do I transfer to Purdue?
If you are interested in transferring to Hospitality and Tourism Management from another college or university, please visit the Future Transfer Students page to learn more about the steps needed to finish your degree at Purdue University.
For more information, contact:
Maggy Leitch, Academic Advisor
Hospitality & Tourism Management
Marriott Hall, Room 128A
900 W. State Street
West Lafayette, IN 47907
Phone: (765) 494-8724