Hospitality and Tourism Management
Our #1 ranked undergraduate program will prepare you for a management career in the fast-paced hospitality industry. Coursework is challenging, relevant to the needs of today's employers, and you'll learn from faculty who bring years of industry experience into the classroom. A key component of the hospitality and tourism management program is hands-on learning and will prepare you to work in any facet of the industry including foodservice, lodging, and tourism.
You'll Have Help Finding a Job
- The HTM Career Center provides career-planning services and coordinates more than 700 interviews.
- The HTM Career Day brings representatives from the hospitality industry to campus each fall. Activities include a career fair, keynote address, and a reception for employers and students.
- Additional career fairs and assistance are offered through the Center for Career Opportunities.
- The Certificate in Entrepreneurship and Innovation is a great addition to complement your HTM Degree without adding additional credits.
- Purdue University has been ranked #4 in preparing students for the workforce by the Wall Street Journal.
Learn from Experience
- During the senior year, students take a capstone course that pulls all the hospitality management knowledge together as the class works in groups to make plans to build a hospitality business — from selecting a location site to a final operating establishment.
- All undergraduates must complete one internship and one work experience.
- Students train in the school's two restaurants, the John Purdue Room (fine dining) and the Boiler Bistro (quick service).
- Opportunity to complete a 6-month paid internship at a Shangri-La Hotel in China or study abroad at various destinations around the world.
- director, convention and visitors bureau
- convention/event planner
- corporate travel manager
- hotel general manager
- hotel operations director
- restaurant owner/manager
- travel agency manager
- catering director
- country club manager
- food and beverage director
Where You Might Work
- convention and visitor bureaus
- convention centers
- corporate travel management
- cruise lines
- destination management
- event planning
- gaming entertainment
- sports arenas and recreation facilities
- state and national parks
- state tourism
- theme parks
- tour operations
- travel agencies
For more information, contact:
Maggy Leitch, Academic Advisor
Hospitality & Tourism Management
Marriott Hall, Room 128A
900 W. State Street
West Lafayette, IN 47907
Phone: (765) 494-8724