Jump to other news and events
Purdue signature
 

History

Did you know ...

The story of the evolution of the first "group feeding" class is interesting.  President Stone stated that the department could offer such a class as long as it did not cost the University "one cent".  From 1918 until 1923, two lunches a week were served, with a student as manager.  The students were in charge of all planning and execution of the meal, and were "required" to sell forty tickets at forty cents each.  During that time, not one student operated at a loss, fulfilling President Stone's requirement of not costing one cent.  The bills were paid in cash, and a single entry bookkeeping procedure was used to keep track of revenue and expenses.  And yes, HTM labs still operate in the black!

Important Dates in HTM History

1887

School of Science - established series of courses called Domestic Economy

1905

School of Science - established Department of Household Economics

1916

Institutional Management Program organized

1926

Department of Household Economics becomes School of Home Economics 
Institutional Management becomes a department

1954

"Tea Room" Service is added

1960

Merchandising, selling, and lodging classes are added

1973 - 1992

Named Restaurant, Hotel, and Institutional Management (RHI)

1992 - 2000

Renamed Restaurant, Hotel, Institutional, & Tourism Management (RHIT)

2000

Renamed Department of Hospitality and Tourism Management (HTM)
Ph.D. program approved

2011

Renamed School of Hospitality and Tourism Management