John Rousselle, MBA
Professor John R. Rousselle has worked in and around the hospitality industry for many years. Just prior to coming to Purdue in January 1978, he owned a 24-hour family restaurant in Athens, Georgia. Before owning the restaurant, he worked in the operations department of a large southern bank and managed several convenience stores in the Atlanta area. He has done consulting of a variety of hotels, restaurant, and institutional operations as well as being the feature speaker to several professional associations and groups. He is currently the faculty advisor to the student chapter of the Club Managers Association of America.
- MBA, Finance, Georgia State University, June 1976
- BA, Mathematics, West Georgia College, June 1971
- Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, January 1978-Present
Associate Professor. Teacher responsibility includes: cost control, computer application, accounting & finance, human resourse management, strategic planning
- Sambo's Restaurants, Athens, GA, 1976-1978
Owner/Manager, Complete responsibility for the operation of a 24 hour family style operation
- 7-Eleven Food Stores, Atlanta, GA, 1972-1976
Area Supervisor, Bottom line responsibility for seven to twelve convenience stores
- C&S National Bank, Atlanta, GA, 1971-1972
Operations, Prepare data for computer processing
- HTM 315 (Club Management)
- HTM 341 (Cost Control in the Hospitality Industry)
- HTM 441 (Financial Management)
- HTM 251 (Computers in the Hospitality Industry)
- HTM 312 (Personnel Management)
- HTM 499 (Operational Analysis)
- HTM 551 (Management Information Systems)
Honors and Awards
- "HTM Professor of the Year" Award from HTM Society in 1990,1993, 1997
- Co-winner of 1991 "Van Nostrand Reinhold Research Award" from CHRIE
- Mary L Mathews Award for teaching excellence 1992, 1997
- Bruce I Lazarus Teach Award, 1999
- Computers in the Hospitality Industry, Course Workbook & Supplementary Readings
- Book chapter - "Chain Operation in the Hospitality Industry"; Hospitality Management, An Introduction to the Industry
- Currently writing a text for HTM 341-Cost Control for West Publishing Co.
- Club Managers Association of America
Other Professional Activities
- Conducted seminars, done research, made presentations, and consulted with a variety of organizations. The organizations includes American Hotel Motel Association, U.S. Air Force, USDA, Indiana Division of Tourism, U.S. Bureau of Prisons, Holiday Inns, Motel 6, Szabo Food Service, Murat Shrine Club and Temple, and others.
- Seminar topics include: cost control, hospitality computer application, human resource management, and marketing.
- Research topics include: strategic planning, control systems, and computer applications, product development, marketing, and others.
- Presentations to American Hotel Motel Association, Council on Hotel, Restaurant, and Institutional Education, and Society for the Advancement of Food Service Research.