Annmarie Nicely, PhD
- Learning/performance in hospitality business and tourism communities (in particular visitor harassment issues in tourism communities)
Dr. Nicely is Assistant Professor in the School of Hospitality and Tourism Management at Purdue University teaching a range of undergraduate and graduate courses primarily in the areas of Lodging and Human Resources Management. Prior to joining the team at Purdue, she taught at the University of Technology in Kingston, Jamaica and Oklahoma State University in Stillwater, Oklahoma. She worked in the hospitality industry at both the line and managerial levels. Also, she was a frequent contributor to Jamaica’s oldest and largest newspaper, the Daily Gleaner’s, bi-weekly feature magazine, Hospitality Jamaica. Between 2006 and 2010 the newspaper published 18 of her articles. Her articles covered a range of human resource and food issues of particular interest to the Jamaican hospitality industry with her most noteworthy being her trilogy on Jamaica’s national gastronomic identity.
However, Dr. Nicely’s primary area of expertise and focus is human performance in hospitality business and tourism communities. More specifically, in identifying ways hospitality and tourism leaders can consciously and unconsciously improve the learning and performance of their constituents. Her work in this area has been published in leading hospitality and tourism journals, such as in Tourism Management, Annals of Tourism Research, and International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management. Her work in learning and performance has also been presented at academic conferences both in the U.S. and internationally, such as in Australia and Malaysia. In addition, Dr. Nicely has a passion for Caribbean gastronomy, in particular Jamaican gastronomy. More specifically, in documenting areas of Jamaican gastronomy often overlooked by culinarians and food and beverage management professionals with particular interest in Jamaican food and eating styles.
- PhD, Human Environmental Sciences, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, Oklahoma
- MSc, Hotel and Foodservice Management, Florida International University, North Miami, Florida
- BSc, Hotel Management, University of the West Indies, Mona, St. Andrew, Jamaica
- HTM181 - Lodging Management
- HTM381- Revenue Management in the Lodging Industry
- HTM312 - Human Resources Management for the Service Industries
- HTM499 - Feasibility Studies and Business Development in Hospitality and Tourism
- HTM 692 - Advanced Personnel Systems In Restaurants, Hotels, and Institution
- HTM602 - Research Methods
Selected Publications and Presentations
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
- Nicely, A., Day, J., Sydnor, J. & Mohd Ghazali, R. (2015). Towards a theoretical framework for sustainably changing small traders’ harassment behaviors. Tourism Management. 47, 273-285.
- Nicely, A. & Syndor, S. (2014). Rural tourism development: Tackling a culture of local non-participation in a post-slavery society. Journal of Travel Research. 1-13.
- Nicely, A. & Mohd Ghazali, R. (2014). Demystifying visitor harassment? Annals of Tourism Research. 48, 266-291.
- Rigg, J., Sydnor, S. and Nicely, A. (2014). Employee engagement in Jamaican hotels: Do demographic and organizational characteristics matter? Journal of Human Resources in Hospitality & Tourism.13, 1.
- Day, J., Karani, A., Adler, H. & Nicely, A. (2013). Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) and college recruiting in the hospitality industry. Journal of Human Resources in Hospitality & Tourism. 12 (1).
- Nicely, A., Palakurthi, R. & Gooden, A.D. (2011). Behaviors linked to hotel managers' work-related learning levels. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management. 23 (6).
- Nicely, A. & Palakurthi, R. (2011). Navigating through the tourism options: An island perspective. International Journal of Culture, Tourism and Hospitality Research. 5 (2).
Peer-Reviewed Conference Presentations
- Mohd Ghazali, R. & Nicely, A. & Gooden, A.D. (2014). Tackling visitor harassment: The effect of local music on craft traders’ service-related emotions. Asia-Pacific CHRIE Conference, Selangor, Malaysia.
- Nicely, A., Sydnor, S. & Johnson, C. (2012). Cultural dichotomies and rural tourism development: The case of St. Thomas, Jamaica. 8th International Conference on Tourism. Athens, Greece.
- Nicely, A. & Njite, D. (2012). Organizational size and learning: Unique insights for hotel managers, Hawaii International Conference on Business, Hawaii, U.S.A.
- Nicely, A. & Palakurthi, R. (2009). Developing a strong rural tourism product: The case of St. Thomas, Jamaica. Council for Australian University Tourism & Hospitality Education (CAUTHE) 2009 Conference. Fremantle, Western Australia.
- Gardner, M. & Nicely, A. (2008). Jamaican ethnic restaurants in America: a historical perspective. Southwest Texas Popular Culture Association (PCA)/ American Culture Association (ACA) Conference. Albuquerque, New Mexico.
- Nicely, A. & Qu, Hailin (2006). Designing a master's program in hospitality management: Preparing leaders for the 21st century & beyond. In the 24th Oklahoma State Annual Research Symposium. Stillwater, Oklahoma.
Peer-Reviewed Poster Presentations
- Zhang, Y. & Nicely, A. (2014). Understanding shoppers’ emotion response to independent craft sellers’ trading behaviors under different music conditions. Graduate Education and Graduate Student Conference in Hospitality and Tourism. Texas, U.S.A.
- Rigg, J., Adler H. & Nicely, A. (2011). Perceptions of employee engagement in Jamaican hotels: An employee-manager comparison, Krannert Executive Conference for Human Resources Professionals, West Lafayette, IN, U.S.A.
- Nicely, A. (January 6, 2010). How to give visitors a taste of Jamaica. The Daily Gleaner: Hospitality Jamaica
- Nicely, A. (April 1, 2009). Is a hospitality management degree necessary for industry? The Daily Gleaner: Hospitality Jamaica
- Nicely, A. (December 24, 2008). Overhauling the industry's human resources from both angles. The Daily Gleaner: Hospitality Jamaica
- Nicely, A. (October 1, 2008). Tourism, a strategy for poverty alleviation? Not in Jamaica. The Daily Gleaner: Hospitality Jamaica
- Nicely, A. (April 23, 2008). Small hotels must be rated. The Daily Gleaner: Hospitality Jamaica
- Nicely, A. (March 19, 2008). The principle of "show and sell". The Daily Gleaner: Hospitality Jamaica
- Nicely, A. (November 28, 2007). "It should begin to smell a lot like Christmas". The Daily Gleaner: Hospitality Jamaica
- Nicely, A. (August 29, 2007). From the poor man's table to haute status: The true story about bully beef and Jamaica. The Daily Gleaner: Hospitality Jamaica
- Nicely, A. (June 13, 2007). Saying "no" to customers, good for business? The Daily Gleaner: Hospitality Jamaica
- Nicely, A. (May 2, 2007). More money, more work. The Daily Gleaner: Hospitality Jamaica
- Nicely, A. (April 18, 2007). Outwitting overeaters. The Daily Gleaner: Hospitality Jamaica
- Nicely, A. (April 5, 2007). The national gastronomic identity (Part 3): The organization of the local restaurant industry. The Daily Gleaner: Hospitality Jamaica
- Nicely, A. (March 21, 2007). A national gastronomic identity (Part 2): Establishing own foodservice style. The Daily Gleaner: Hospitality Jamaica
- Nicely, A. (February 7, 2007). A national gastronomic identity: Refining Jamaica's gourmet cuisine. The Daily Gleaner: Hospitality Jamaica
- Nicely, A. (October 4, 2006). Music, food great combination. The Daily Gleaner: Hospitality Jamaica
- Nicely, A. (September 20, 2006). The inadequacy of foreign language training in hospitality programmes. The Daily Gleaner: Hospitality Jamaica
- Nicely, A. (August 23, 2006). Foreign-language training critical to the industry. The Daily Gleaner: Hospitality Jamaica
- Nicely, A. (Spring, 2011) Organizational charts and hotels: Learning research to address an age-old problem. The Boilerplate. The Department of Hospitality and Tourism Management, Purdue University.
- Nicely, A. (Spring, 2015) Visitor harassment research report card. The Boilerplate. The Department of Hospitality and Tourism Management, Purdue University.
Honors and Awards
- St. Thomas Credit Union Award for Outstanding Academic Achievement, 2011
- Most Outstanding Teaching Assistant, Third Place, Oklahoma State University, 2009
- Most Outstanding Graduate Student for the School of Hotel and Restaurant Administration, Oklahoma State University, 2009
- Phi Beta Delta Honor Society International Scholarship Recipient, Oklahoma State University, 2009
- Regina Henry International Student Scholarship Recipient, 2008
- The School of Hotel & Restaurant Administration Nominee for the Most Outstanding College of Human Environmental Sciences Doctoral Student Award, Oklahoma State University, 2008/2009
- Karl and Louise Wolf Fellowship Recipient for Outstanding Achievement, Oklahoma State University, 2007
- Best Research Presentation - Social Sciences, OSU Research Symposium, 2006
- Fulbright / LASPAU Scholar, 1996-1998
- I-CHRIE, International Council on Hotel, Restaurant and Institutional Education (ICHRIE)
- American Hotel and Lodging Association (AHLA)
Other Professional Activities
Editorial board member for the journal:
- Journal of Business and Hotel Management
- American Journal of Modern Hospitality Management
Reviewer for the following conferences:
- 2015 Asia Pacific Tourism Association (APTA) International Conference
- 2015 International Council on Hotel, Restaurant, and Institutional Education (ICHRIE)
- 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 Hospitality Graduate Conference
- 2009 Council for Australian University Tourism & Hospitality Education (CAUTHE) Conference
Ad hoc reviewer for the following journals:
- International Journal of Hospitality Management
- Tourism Management
- International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management
- Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Research
- Journal of Quality Assurance in Hospitality & Tourism
- Research in Business & Management Journal
- International Food Journal
- World Applied Sciences Journal