Doug Nelson, PhD
- Foodservice equipment testing and development
- Sanitation and food quality
- Kitchen efficiency
Douglas C. Nelson joined the Department of Hospitality and Tourism Management (HTM) in 1996 as a visiting instructor. In 1998, he received an appointment as an assistant professor. His primary teaching and research focus is engineering systems for foodservice and lodging operations. Doug has operational experience with Wendy's and Bob Evans Farms Restaurants. He was also an officer in the United States Air Force, where he managed military dining and hotel operations.
- BS, Agricultural Engineering, The Ohio State University
- MS, Hospitality and Tourism Management, Purdue University
- PhD, Hospitality and Tourism Management, Purdue University
- HTM 19100 Sanitation
- HTM 32100 Equipment for Restaurants, Hotels, and Institutions
- HTM 32200 Hospitality Facilities Management
- HTM 32300 Foodservice Layout and Design;
- HTM 36100 Contract Institutional Foodservice Management
Honors and Awards
- The Norma H. Compton Outstanding Doctoral Student Award
- Hiemstra, S.J., Boo, H.C., Nelson, D.C. & Almanza, B.A. (1998). School Commodity Testing, 1997-98 School Year: Report 10 (HTM No. 998-1). West Lafayette, Indiana: Purdue University, Department of Hospitality Tourism Management.
- Almanza, B.A., Nelson, D.C., Chai, S. (1997). Obstacles to nutrition labeling in restaurants. Journal of the American Dietetic Association, 97(2), 57-61.
- Nelson, D.C., Almanza, B.A., Jaffe, W. F. (1996). The effect of point-of-sales nutrition information on the entree selection of patrons of a university foodservice operation. Journal of Nutrition in Recipe & Menu Development, 2(4), 29-50.
- Hiemstra, S.J., Nelson, D.C., Ham, S. & Almanza, B.A. (1995). School Commodity Testing, 1994-95 School Year: Report 8 (HTM No. 95-1). West Lafayette, Indiana: Purdue University, Department of Restaurant, Hotel, Institutional, and Tourism Management
Selected Grants and Projects
- Determination of Recovery Times for Humidified, Hot Holding Cabinets, CresCor, $1371.92
- Institute of Food Technologists (IFT)
- Society for the Advancement of Foodservice Research (SAFSR)
- International Council on Hotel, Restaurant, and Institutional Education(CHRIE)
- Phi Kappa Phi (National Honor Society)
- Kappa Omicron Nu (National Honor Society)