- Job satisfaction in the foodservice industry
- Programs to hire the disabled in the hospitality industry
- Learning effectiveness with Web-based teaching programs
Dr. Jaffe has been a faculty member at Purdue since 1989 focusing on teaching courses in the Foodservice emphasis area. He authored and continues to teach the only fully Web-based course offered in the HTM Department, HTM 311 (Procurement Management for Foodservice). Dr. Jaffe continues to advocate that all graduating students in HTM are certified in Responsible Service of Beverage Alcohol through the Educational Foundation of the National Restaurant Association. He continues to assist students as faculty advisor of HTM Society and advisor for the Black Tie Dinner. Dr. Jaffe is the Faculty chairperson for The University Committee on issues involving students with disabilities, and the 2009 Purdue Focus Award faculty winner. He is also the President of the Purdue Chapter of the International Honorary Interdiscipline Fraternity, Phi Kappa Phi.
- PhD, Iowa State University (Professional Studies in Education)
- MS, Purdue University (Restaurant, Hotel and Institutional Management)
- BS, University of Wisconsin Stout (Hotel and Restaurant Management)
- Milwaukee Area Technical College (Hotel and Restaurant Cookery)
- HTM 10000 (Introduction to the Hospitality Industry)
- HTM 18100 (Lodging Management)
- HTM 31100 (Procurement Management for Foodservice)
- HTM 37200 (Global Tourism Geography)
- HTM 49100 (Beverage Management)
- HTM 50100 (Research Methodology)
- HTM 60200 (Research Seminar)
Honors and Awards
- 2009, Focus Award - Office of Institutional Equity, Purdue University
- 2007, Advisor of the Year - Student Organziations, Dean of Students, Purdue University
- 1996, United States Department of Agriculture Group Honor Award for Excellence, Cooperative Extension Service, Safe Food For the Hungry.
- 1994, Consolidated Products, Inc./Steak 'n Shake, Inc. Faculty Fellowship. $10,000, (January 1 to December 31, 1994.) Factors Influencing Job Satisfaction of Disabled Employees in the Hardee's Creatively Applying Peoples' Abilities Program.
- 1983 &1986, National Institute for the Food Service Industry/Heinz Graduate Degree Fellowship
- 2008, Judge of Indiana International Wine Festival, Indiana State Fair Grounds
- 2007-2009, Hospitality Management Tenure Review Expert, Department of Hospitality Management, College of Ecology, East Carolina University
- 2006-2009, Advised and recommended guidelines for establishment of Responsible Server Training for Indiana State licensees. Worked with other members of the Purdue/Lafayette Community Alcohol Awareness Committee. Training mandated by State legislature and Governor to begin 2009.
- Almanza, B. A. , Ghisselli, R. & Jaffé, W. F. (2000). Foodservice design and aging baby boomers: Importance and perception of physical amenities in restaurants. FoodService Research International.
- Jaffé, W. F. and Tyrell, B. (1999). "Chain operations in the hospitality industry", chapter in R. Brymer (ed.) Hospitality and Tourism. Kendall Hunt: Dubuque, IA. 9th edition.
- Jaffé, W. F. (1999). A strategy, resource and syllabus exchange on teaching beverage management. Presented at the Council on Hotel, Restaurant and Institutional Education (CHRIE) National Conference, August, 1999, Albuquerque, NM.
- Jaffeé, W. F. (1997). "Chain operations in the hospitality industry", chapter in R. Brymer (ed.) Hospitality and Tourism. Kendall Hunt: Dubuque, IA. 8th edition.
- Jaffé, W. F. (1997). Factors involved in the non-retention of workers with a disability in a quick service restaurant. Presented at the National Rehabilitation Association Conference, August 1997, New Orleans, LA.
- Jaffé, W. F. (1997) Increasing student awareness in Prepared and Perishable Food Rescue Programs. Presented at the Council on Hotel, Restaurant and Institutional Education (CHRIE) National Conference, August 1997, Providence, RI.
- Jaffé, W. F. (1996). Factors influencing job satisfaction between disabled and non-disabled employees in a quick service restaurant. Presented at the Council on Hotel, Restaurant and Institutional Education (CHRIE) National Conference, August 1996, Washington, DC.
- Nelson, D. C., Almanza, B. A. & Jaffé, W. F. (1996). The effect of point-of-sales-nutrition information on the entree selection of patrons of a university foodservice operation. Journal of Nutrition in Recipe & Menu Development. 2 (4), 29-50.
- Hiemstra, S., Jaffé, W. F. & Foo, P. L. (1996). Cost effectiveness of three purchasing systems. School Food Service Research Review, 20 (1), 19-24.
- Jaffé, W. F., Almanza, B. A. & Chen, C. (1995). A study of factors affecting job satisfaction among university foodservice employees. The Journal of College and University Foodservice, 2(2).
- Jaffé, W. F. (1995) "Chain operations in the hospitality industry", chapter in R. Brymer (ed.) Hospitality Management: An Introduction to the Industry. Kendall Hunt: Dubuque, IA. 7th edition.
Selected Grants and Projects
- Economic Viability Analysis — Foodservice Concessions, Caribbean National Forest. United States Department of Agriculture, Forest Service. (July-November 2000).
- Attitudes of Older Consumers on Commercial Foodservice, Consolidated Products, Inc. Faculty Fellowship, Co-Principal Investigator with Barbara Almanza and Rich Ghiselli (1998).
- Factors Influencing the Non-Retention of Employees with Disabilities in the Restaurant Industry, CAP-Abilities Program, Project With Industry, Tri-County Industries, Hardees' Food Systems. (September 1996-February 1997).
- A Study of the Factors Impacting Space Utilization Management in University Foodservice Purchasing, Receiving and Storage Areas, Cres-Cor, Crown X, Inc. Equipment and Space Utilization Grant. (September 1994-May 1995). Principal Investigator.
- 2001-Present, President, Phi Kappa Phi National Honor Society, Purdue Chapter
- 1998-2000, Mid-West CHRIE Conference Planning Committee
- 1997-2000, Chair, Beverage Special Interest Group-CHRIE
- 1997-1999, Indiana CHRIE President
- 1995-Present, Executive Board - Phi Kappa Phi National Honor Society, Purdue Chapter
- 1995-2001, Executive Board-Phi Kappa Phi National Honor Society, Purdue Chapter
- 1994-2000, Indiana CHRIE
- 1986-2000, Council on Hotel, Restaurant and Institutional Education
- 1986-Present, Phi Kappa Phi National Honor Society
- 1983-Present, National Restaurant Association
University and Service Outreach Activities
- 2006-2009, Faculty Chairperson, University Advisory Council on Disability Issues
- 2005-Present, University Committee on Educational Technology in Academics.
- 2005-2008, Technology and Learning, University Committee on classroom and academic needs of students and faculty for integration of technology and learning.
- 2001-Present, Faculty Advisor, HTM Society
- 1993-2009, University Advisory Council on Disability Issues