Destination branding, sustainable tourism and hospitality practices
Jonathon Day joined the faculty at Purdue’s Department of Hospitality and Tourism Management after a successful career in destination marketing. Dr. Day’s doctorate examined the challenges of destination branding in the United States. He also has a MBA from UCLA’s Anderson Graduate School of Management. He joins Purdue after roles as an adjunct professor at Pepperdine University and NYU.
He is a CITE – Certified Incentive Travel Executive with Society of Incentive Travel Executives (SITE). In 2000 he was named one of Travel Agents magazine’s “100 Rising Stars” of destination marketing in the travel industry. An award winning marketer, he has received recognition for work in public relations, brochures development, training video production, travel trade campaigns and international marketing.
During the past 20 years, Dr. Day has been instrumental in developing marketing strategies that deliver real, long term results for international tourism destinations. He has undertaken marketing campaigns for two of the South Pacific’s most successful destinations – New Zealand and Australia’s Great Barrier Reef State, Queensland.
Prior to joining Purdue University, Dr. Day founded Placemark Solutions, Inc., a consulting and marketing company to assist tourism operators, hoteliers and destinations to meet the challenges of our changing industry.
Dr. Day has conducted training for destination marketing professionals undertaking the Certified Destination Management Executive program with the Destination Marketing Association International. He was a featured speaker for the International Conference on Destination Branding and Marketing for Regional Development in Macau, China in both 2005 and 2007. He is a past President of Travel & Tourism Marketing Association and a past-trustee of the Hospitality Sales and Marketing Association International Foundation. He is also on the advisory board of the Journal of Vacation Marketing.
- PhD, 2006, James Cook University School of Business, Townsville, Australia.
- MBA, 1997, University of California Los Angeles Anderson Graduate School of Management
- B.Bus, 1989, Queensland University of Technology Brisbane, Australia
- HTM 17300 Introduction to Tourism
- HTM 21200 Introduction to Management in Hospitality and Tourism
- Urban Tourism (NYU Graduate Course)
- International Marketing. (Pepperdine)
Recent Research and Publications
- Day, J., Cai, L., & Murphy, L. (2011). Increasing Destination Competitiveness: Destination Brands and Their Benefits for Destination Team Members. Asian Journal of Tourism and Hospitality Research 4(2).
- Day, J., Ward, L., Choi, S., & Zhao, Z. (2011) Catching the Long Tail: Competitive Advantage through Distribution Strategy. Journal of Hospitality and Travel Technology, 2(3), 204-215.
- La Lopa, J., & Day, J. (2011) Pilot Study to Assess the Readiness of the Tourism Industry in Wales to Change to Sustainable Tourism Practices. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Management, 18.
- Yi, S., Day, J., & Cai, L. (2011). Rural Tourism Demand: Duration Modeling for Drive Tourist' Length of Stay in Rural Areas of the United States. Journal of Tourism Challenges and Trends, 4(1).
- Day, J., Skidmore, S., & Koller, T. (2002). Image Selection in Destination Positioning: A New Approach. Journal of Vacation Marketing, 8(2), 177-186.
Awards and Honors
- Teaching Award (2009), The Bruce I. Lazarus Teaching Award, HTM, Purdue University.
- Certified Incentive Travel Executive ( CITE) Society of Incentive Travel Executives
- Selected as one of Travel Agent Magazine’s 100 Rising Stars of the tourism industry. 2000,Travel Agent Magazine
- Golden Bell Award for Public Relations - Hotel Sales and Marketing Association International
- 1999, Gold, Feature Placement
- 1998, Silver, Newsletter
- Adrian Awards - Hotel Sales and Marketing Association International
- 2004, Silver, Special Event/PR
- 1999, Bronze, Trade Campaign
- 1999, Bronze, Special Advertising
- 1996, Gold, Direct Mail
- 1993, Brochure
- Tourism Queensland Awards for Excellence
- 2002 Toshio Watanabe Award for Excellence in International Marketing
- American Hotel and Lodging Association
- AHLA Energy and Environment Committee
- Hospitality Sales and Marketing International
- Destination Marketing Association International
- The International Ecotourism Society
- Society of Incentive Travel Executives
- Travel and Tourism Marketing Association
- Association of Travel Marketing Executives
- American Marketing Association
Other Professional Activities
- Editorial Board, Journal of Vacation Marketing (Henry Stewart Publications)