Dr. Adler has been at Purdue since 1982 teaching mostly in the area of hotel operations. Prior to coming to Purdue, Dr. Adler was on the faculty of the hotel and restaurant management department at the University of Southern Mississippi. Dr. Adler has held several management positions in the hotel industry including general manager with Sheraton as well as director of sales, front office manager and resident manager with some private resorts. Dr. Adler spent the 1999/2000 school year teaching at the University Del Este, in San Juan, Puerto Rico and the 2006/2007 school year teaching at the South China University of Technology in Guangzhou, China and the Macau Institute of Tourism, Macau, China. He presently does consulting for several hotel companies as well as seminars on organizational climate.
- EdD, 1984, University of Mississippi, Higher Education
- Certified Hotel Administrator, 1984, American Hotel and Motel Association
- MS, 1978, Hotel and Foodservice Management, Florida International University, Miami
- BS, 1974, Hotel and Food Service Management, Florida International University, Miami
Courses Recently Taught
- HTM 10010 (Introduction to Foodservice and Lodging Management)
- HTM 18100 (Lodging Management)
- HTM 31200 (Human Resource Management in Hospitality Industry)
- HTM 32200 (Property and Engineering Management)
- HTM 33100 (Convention and Meetings Management
- HTM 38200 (Executive Housekeeping Management)
- HTM 38300 (Resort, Cruise and Entertainment Operations)
- HTM 49900 (Hotel Feasibility and Business Development)
- HTM 58100 (Advanced Hotel Management)
- HTM 59000 (Hotel and Restaurant Management - Independent Studies)
- HTM 69500 (Graduate Seminar in Hotel Operations)
- Organizational sagas in the hospitality Industry
- Career planning of hotel managers
- Hotel and restaurant management department heads
- Careers in senior living
- Fall 2006-Spring 2007
South China University of Technology, Guangzhou, China
Visiting Professor while on sabbatical
- Spring 2006
Institute for Tourism Studies, Macau, China
University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
Taught summer course in Resort Development
- Summer 2003
University of South Australia, Adelaide, Australia
Taught a course in Guest Service
- Adler, H. and Lu, T., Career Expectations of Asian Hospitality Students, Journal of Teaching in Hospitality and Tourism, Spring 2009
- Adler, H., Kline, S., and Ghiselli, R., General Managers: Are they Plateaued, Florida International Review, Spring 2008
- Adler, H. and Chu, Chien, The Impact of the Wedding Business on Hotel Food and Beverage, Journal of Foodservice Research, Spring 2005
- Adler, H. and Soo, Leigh K., Hotel Convention Cancellation Clauses, Journal of Convention and Trade Show Management, Fall 1999
- Adler, H., and Micheel, A., (2009) General manager perception of hotel soft opening issues. Proceedings of 14th Annual Graduate Education and Graduate Students Research Conference on Hospitality and Tourism, Las Vegas, NV.
- Adler, H., and Lu, Y. (2009) Travel safety concerning international students. Proceedings of 14th Annual Graduate Education and Graduate Students Research Conference on Hospitality and Tourism, Las Vegas, NV
- Adler, H., Lin, Y., and Hur, Y. (2009) The role of employee training and satisfaction in restaurant brand image. Proceedings of 14th Annual Graduate Education and Graduate Students Research Conference on Hospitality and Tourism, Las Vegas, NV
- Adler, H., Behnke, C., and Lu, Y. (2008) The international component to hospitality education: study abroad programs. Proceedings of 2008 Euro Council on Hotel, Restaurant, and Institutional Education Annual Conference (EuroCHRIE) Dubai, United Arab Emirates, October 11-14.
- Choi, J. K., Silkes, C.A. & Adler, H. (2008). An examination of consumer behaviour in restaurant wine purchases. Proceedings of 2008 Euro Council on Hotel, Restaurant, and Institutional Education Annual Conference (EuroCHRIE) Dubai, United Arab Emirates, October 11-14.
- January 2008, Graduate Education and Research Conference, Orlando, Florida, "Career Expectations of Chinese Hospitality Management Students."
- May 2007, Asia Pacific CHRIE Conference, Beijing China, "Resource Managers in Guangzhou, China: A Profile and Issues Facing them."
- November 2006, Third Annual China Tourism Forum, Hong Kong, "Human Resources Issues in Guangzhou China."
- May, 2004, International Asia Pacific CHRIE Conference, Phuket, Thailand "A Study of the use of Employee Attitude Surveys in Hotels."
- January, 2003, Graduate Education and Research Conference, Las Vegas, Nevada "Plateau Patterns Among General Managers in Limited Service Hotels."
- January, 2003, Graduate Education and Research Conference, Las Vegas, Nevada, "The Effect of the Wedding Business in Food and Beverage Revenues in US Hotels."
- May, 2000, Chang Mai Thailand, Tourism Southeast Asia Conference, "Building an International Hospitality Program from the Ground up.
- January, 2000, Graduate Education and Research Conference, Houston, Texas, "Selection Criteria of College Faculty when they make International Trips."
Selected Grants and Projects
- 2004, Purdue International Travel Grant, $1000 Attended International Conference in Phuket, Thailand
- 2002, Purdue University, Center for the Study of Lodging Operations, $1000 Grant to study plateau patterns of 1000 hotel general managers in the United States
- Education Director/Board of Directors, Indianapolis Hotel & Lodging Association (Present)
- City of Indianapolis, Hotel Compliance Monitor (2002)
- Manuscript Reviewer, Tourism Management Journal (2000-2003)
- Editor, Journal of Human Resources in Hospitality and Tourism, Haworth Press (1999-Present) Responsible for the development and launch of a new quarterly journal specializing in human resource research and current trends in the hospitality industry.
- Editorial Review Board, Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Education (1996-present).
- Industry Consulting: marketing studies, feasibility studies and development of training programs for numerous hotel and restaurant companies around the country.
- Expert Witness (1985-present) Serve as an expert witness in various cases ranging hotel drowning cases, bankruptcy cases, and contract management disputes.