Dr. Adler has been at Purdue since 1982 teaching mostly in the area of hotel operations. Prior to coming to Purdue, Dr. Adler was on the faculty of the hotel and restaurant management department at the University of Southern Mississippi. Dr. Adler has held several management positions in the hotel industry including general manager with Sheraton as well as director of sales, front office manager and resident manager with some private resorts. Dr. Adler spent the 1999/2000 school year teaching at the University Del Este, in San Juan, Puerto Rico and the 2006/2007 school year teaching at the South China University of Technology in Guangzhou, China and the Macau Institute of Tourism, Macau, China. He presently does consulting for several hotel companies as well as seminars on organizational climate.
- EdD, 1984, University of Mississippi, Higher Education
- Certified Hotel Administrator, 1984, American Hotel and Motel Association
- MS, 1978, Hotel and Foodservice Management, Florida International University, Miami
- BS, 1974, Hotel and Food Service Management, Florida International University, Miami
Courses Recently Taught
- HTM 10010 (Introduction to Foodservice and Lodging Management)
- HTM 18100 (Lodging Management)
- HTM 31200 (Human Resource Management in Hospitality Industry)
- HTM 32200 (Property and Engineering Management)
- HTM 33100 (Convention and Meetings Management
- HTM 38200 (Executive Housekeeping Management)
- HTM 38300 (Resort, Cruise and Entertainment Operations)
- HTM 49900 (Hotel Feasibility and Business Development)
- HTM 58100 (Advanced Hotel Management)
- HTM 59000 (Hotel and Restaurant Management - Independent Studies)
- HTM 69500 (Graduate Seminar in Hotel Operations)
- Organizational sagas in the hospitality Industry
- Career planning of hotel managers
- Hotel and restaurant management department heads
- Careers in senior living
- Fall 2006-Spring 2007
South China University of Technology, Guangzhou, China
Visiting Professor while on sabbatical
- Spring 2006
Institute for Tourism Studies, Macau, China
University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
Taught summer course in Resort Development
- Summer 2003
University of South Australia, Adelaide, Australia
Taught a course in Guest Service
- Torres, E., Adler, H., Behnke, C., Miao, L., and Lehto, X. ( 2015). The use of consumer generated feedback in the hotel industry: Current practices and their effects on quality. International Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Administration16(3)
- Kim, D., Jang, S., & Adler, H. (2015) What drives Café customers to spead eWOM? Examining self-relevant value, quality value and opinion leadership. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management. 27 (3)
- Torres , E., Adler, H., Behnke, C., (2014). Stars, diamonds, and other shiny things: The use of expert and consumer generated feedback in the hotel industry. Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Management 21, 34-43.
- Adler,H, Gordon,S. Rigg, J. (2014) Sabbatical Activities of Faculty: The Case of Professors in Hospitality and Tourism in the U.S. V 12 (1) 1-16 Journal of Hospitality and Tourism 12 (1).
- Gordon, S., Adler, H., & Scott-Halsell, S. (2014). Career fairs: are they valuable events? Hospitality and tourism recruiter perceptions of attributes towards participation and activities. International Journal of Hospitality and Event Management, 1(1), 81-94.
- Lu, Y., Fu, X., & Adler, H. (2014). Travel safety concerns: feedback from international students in the USA. International Journal of Tourism Anthropology, 3(3), 211-226.
- Adler, H., & Leng, X. (2014). Issues Faced by Human Resources Managers of Multinational Hotels in China. Asian Journal of Business and Management, 2(2).
- Sydnor, S., Day, J., & Adler, H. (2014). Creating Competitive Advantage and Building Capital through Corporate Social Responsibility: An Exploratory Study of Hospitality Industry Practices. Management and Organizational Studies, 1(1), p52.
- Day, J., Karani, A., Adler, H., & Nicely, A. M. (2013). Corporate social responsibility and college recruiting in the hospitality industry. Journal of Human Resources in Hospitality & Tourism, 12(1), 71-90.
- Hur, Y. K., & Adler, H. (2013). An Exploratory Study of the Propensity for South Koreans to take Cruises: Investigating Koreans' Perceptions of Cruise Ship Travel. International Journal of Tourism Research, 15(2), 171-183.
- Torres, E. N., Adler, H., Lehto, X., Behnke, C., & Miao, L. (2013). One experience and multiple reviews: the case of upscale US hotels. Tourism Review, 68(3), 3-20.
- Adler, H., Gordon, S & Rigg, J. (2013) An Empirical Analysis of Jamaican Hotel Employees' Engagement, Job Satisfaction, and Quitting Intentions. Consortium Journal of Hospitality & Tourism; Vol. 18 Issue 2, p17
- RIgg, J., Day , J., & Adler, H. (2013). An Empirical Analysis of Jamaican Hotel Employees’ Engagement, Job Satisfaction, and Quitting Intentions. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism, 17.
- Rigg, J., Day, J., & Adler, H. (2013). Emotional Exhaustion in Graduate Students: The Role of Engagement, Self-Efficacy and Social Support. Journal of Educational and Developmental Psychology, 3(2), p138.
- Gordon, S. & Adler, H. (2013) Perceptions of hotel concierges on the effects of technology on guest services and their positions, Journal of Tourism Research and Hospitality V 4 (3)
- Adler, H., & Gordon, S. (2013). An Analysis of the Changing Roles of Hotel Concierges. Journal of Tourism and Hospitality Management, 1(2), 53-66.
- Yu, C, Day, J. Adler, H. & Cai, L. (2012). Exploring the Drivers of Corporate Social Responsibility at Chinese Hotels. Journal of Tourism Research & Hospitality. V 1 (4)
- Adler, H, & Rigg, J. (2012). Expatriate hotel general managers in Jamaica: Perceptions of human resource, organizational, and operational challenges. Journal of Hotel & Business Management. V 1 (3)
- Wei, W., Miao, L., Cai, L. A., & Adler, H. (2012). The influence of self-construal and co-consumption others on consumer complaining behavior. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 31(3), 764-771.
- Qin, Y., Adler, H., & Cai, L. A. (2012). Successful growth strategies of three Chinese domestic hotel companies. Journal of Management and Strategy, 3(1)
- Adler, H. (2012). Should We Really Care if Our Employees are Happy or Satisfied?. Journal of Business & Hotel Management.
- Sydnor-Bousso, S., Stafford, K., Tews, M., & Adler, H. (2011). Toward a resilience model for the hospitality & tourism industry. Journal of Human Resources in Hospitality & Tourism, 10(2), 195-217.
- Hur, Y., & Adler, H. (2011). Employees' Perceptions of Restaurant Brand Image. Journal of Foodservice Business Research, 14(4), 334-359.
- Miao, L., Adler, H., & Xu, X. (2011). A stakeholder approach to expatriate management: Perceptions of hotel expatriate managers in China. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 30(3), 530-541.
- Lu, T. Y., & Adler, H. (2011). Perspectives of International Undergraduate Students in Hospitality and Tourism Management Programs in the United States: Implications for educators and administrators. Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Education, 23(3), 16-25.
- Silkes, C., Adler, H., & Phillips, P. S. (2010). Hospitality career fairs: Student perceptions of value and usefulness. Journal of Human Resources in Hospitality & Tourism, 9(2), 117-130.
- Torres, E., & Adler, H. (2010). Effects of Management-Development Practices on Hospitality Management Graduates' Job Satisfaction and Intention to Stay. Hospitality Review, 28(2), 4.
- Lu, T., & Adler, H. (2009). Career goals and expectations of hospitality and tourism students in China. Journal of Teaching in Travel & Tourism, 9(1-2), 63-80.
- Zhang, L., Lu, T. Y., Hu, H., & Adler, H. (2009). An exploratory study of the internationalization of tourism higher education in China. Journal of Human Resources in Hospitality & Tourism, 9(1), 33-46.
- Kline, S. F., Adler, H., Ghiselli, R. F., & Huang, S. Y. (2008). General managers in mid-scale hotels: are they plateaued?. Hospitality Review, 26(1), 3.
- Adler, H., & Chien, M, T. C. (2005). The wedding business: a method to boost food and beverage revenues in hotels. Journal of Foodservice Business Research, 7(1), 117-125.
- Leigh, S. K., & Adler, H. (1999). Group/convention cancellation policies in the US hotel industry. In Journal of Convention & Exhibition Management (V 1, (2).
- Beck, J., & Adler, H. (1997). Using role play in hospitality sales courses. Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Education, 9(2), 27-30.
- Adler, H., & Lazarus, B. I. (1992). Use of Employee Assistance Programs by the Hotel-Motel Industry. Employee Assistance Quarterly, 7(4), 51-58.
- Lazarus, B. I., & Adler, H. (1989). A Study of Workplace Substance Abuse Programs in the Hotel and Motel Industry. Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Research, 13(3), 457-462.
- Adler, H., (1984) The mentor/protégé relationship in club. Club Management, V 63 (9)
- Adler, H. (1984). Mentors: Helping Younger Managers up the Hospitality Ladder. Hospitality Review, 2(1), 5.
- Adler, H., and Micheel, A., (2009) General manager perception of hotel soft opening issues. Proceedings of 14th Annual Graduate Education and Graduate Students Research Conference on Hospitality and Tourism, Las Vegas, NV.
- Adler, H., and Lu, Y. (2009) Travel safety concerning international students. Proceedings of 14th Annual Graduate Education and Graduate Students Research Conference on Hospitality and Tourism, Las Vegas, NV
- Adler, H., Lin, Y., and Hur, Y. (2009) The role of employee training and satisfaction in restaurant brand image. Proceedings of 14th Annual Graduate Education and Graduate Students Research Conference on Hospitality and Tourism, Las Vegas, NV
- Adler, H., Behnke, C., and Lu, Y. (2008) The international component to hospitality education: study abroad programs. Proceedings of 2008 Euro Council on Hotel, Restaurant, and Institutional Education Annual Conference (EuroCHRIE) Dubai, United Arab Emirates, October 11-14.
- Choi, J. K., Silkes, C.A. & Adler, H. (2008). An examination of consumer behaviour in restaurant wine purchases. Proceedings of 2008 Euro Council on Hotel, Restaurant, and Institutional Education Annual Conference (EuroCHRIE) Dubai, United Arab Emirates, October 11-14.
- January 2008, Graduate Education and Research Conference, Orlando, Florida, "Career Expectations of Chinese Hospitality Management Students."
- May 2007, Asia Pacific CHRIE Conference, Beijing China, "Resource Managers in Guangzhou, China: A Profile and Issues Facing them."
- November 2006, Third Annual China Tourism Forum, Hong Kong, "Human Resources Issues in Guangzhou China."
- May, 2004, International Asia Pacific CHRIE Conference, Phuket, Thailand "A Study of the use of Employee Attitude Surveys in Hotels."
- January, 2003, Graduate Education and Research Conference, Las Vegas, Nevada "Plateau Patterns Among General Managers in Limited Service Hotels."
- January, 2003, Graduate Education and Research Conference, Las Vegas, Nevada, "The Effect of the Wedding Business in Food and Beverage Revenues in US Hotels."
- May, 2000, Chang Mai Thailand, Tourism Southeast Asia Conference, "Building an International Hospitality Program from the Ground up.
- January, 2000, Graduate Education and Research Conference, Houston, Texas, "Selection Criteria of College Faculty when they make International Trips."
Selected Grants and Projects
- 2004, Purdue International Travel Grant, $1000 Attended International Conference in Phuket, Thailand
- 2002, Purdue University, Center for the Study of Lodging Operations, $1000 Grant to study plateau patterns of 1000 hotel general managers in the United States
- Education Director/Board of Directors, Indianapolis Hotel & Lodging Association (Present)
- City of Indianapolis, Hotel Compliance Monitor (2002)
- Manuscript Reviewer, Tourism Management Journal (2000-2003)
- Editor, Journal of Human Resources in Hospitality and Tourism, Haworth Press (1999-Present) Responsible for the development and launch of a new quarterly journal specializing in human resource research and current trends in the hospitality industry.
- Editorial Review Board, Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Education (1996-present).
- Industry Consulting: marketing studies, feasibility studies and development of training programs for numerous hotel and restaurant companies around the country.
- Expert Witness (1985-present) Serve as an expert witness in various cases ranging hotel drowning cases, bankruptcy cases, and contract management disputes.