Mission and Vision of HK
The Department of Health and Kinesiology is committed to three core beliefs. The primacy of these core beliefs is what shapes and gives life to our departmental pursuit of excellence. They are: primary commitment to discovery, mutual respect, and intellectual and
The mission of the Department of Health and Kinesiology is to excel in discovery, learning, and engagement activities within the sciences of health, exercise, human movement and physical activity, and sports behavior and performance across the lifespan.
More particularly, our mission is to create, interpret, transmit, and apply knowledge related to health, human performance, exercise, and fitness. In turn, this multidisciplinary knowledge base identifies the common ground of a department dedicated to the prevention of premature mortality, the reduction of unnecessary morbidity, and the enhancement of human health, vitality and well-being. This mission will be accomplished within and between discovery, learning, and engagement programs within Health and Kinesiology:
- Physiology of Exercise, Human Movement, and Sport -- Includes exercise and aging, exercise and the immune system, the overtraining syndrome, sports nutrition, performance enhancement, and the influence of exercise on various components of daily energy expenditure.
- Psychology of Sport and Exercise, and Motor Behavior -- Includes social and motivational processes in sport and exercise, coordination of bimanual performance, motor timing processes, infant perceptual-motor development of reaching and locomotion, and eating disorders among athletes.
- Health Promotion and Disease Prevention -- Includes investigations of riskreducing behavioral methodologies in children and the elderly, health policy development, workplace interventions, and patient education.
- Pedagogy of Physical Activity and Health -- The primary focus of this program is on physical activity and health issues in traditional and non-traditional pedagogical settings.
- Interdisciplinary Activity related to Health and Physical Activity and Sport -- Includes research, teaching, and service activities linked to the study of health, physical activity, nutrition, gerontology, development, and related areas.
It is our vision to accelerate our efforts to achieve national preeminence in our discovery role in health promotion, disease prevention, and kinesiology, while at the same time continuously improving our already active and strong departmental commitment to learning and engagement.