Family and Consumer Sciences Education
Making a difference in the lives of young people is what Family and Consumer Sciences (FCS) Education is all about. As a family and consumer sciences educator, you can make a lifelong impact. You can help students develop the ability to become independent, to assume family and community roles, and to succeed in the workplace. Students in FCS benefit from extensive field experiences in schools and community agencies.
Purdue's FCS Education graduates are in high demand and often receive several job offers. Because the program is aligned with national standards, you will not only have met requirements for an Indiana teacher’s license, but you'll also be prepared to teach anywhere in the United States. FCS Education is an interdisciplinary program between the College of Health and Human Sciences and the College of Education.
Potential Career Options
- middle or high school family and consumer sciences teacher
- Cooperative Extension educator
- community human service agency
- business consultant
- Benefit from extensive field experiences in schools and community agencies that begin as early as your second semester.
- Complete a full semester of student teaching in two classroom settings.
- Learn how to select, evaluate, and manage technology applications for educational settings.