Doran French, PhD
Child and adolescent social development, friendship, conflict, cultural psychology, and religion
Dr. French’s research focuses on social and emotional development of children and adolescents. He has conducted research on peer relationships, friendship, conflict, psychopathology, and adjustment (e.g., delinquency, substance use, school dropout). Over the past 17 years, he has been increasingly concerned with understanding how children develop within the context of culture. Much of his research has been in Indonesia, but he also has projects in China, Thailand, and Korea.
Current projects include research involving children in different cultures (in particular, adolescent friendships in China, Indonesia, and Thailand). Finally, he is interested in studying Islam in Indonesia and exploring how religious involvement is associated with social competence. He is conducting research on the extent to which peer groups are composed of youth of similar religiosity and the extent to which these affiliations explain adjustment. Another study assesses how the parenting of Indonesian adolescents is connected with religious values.
- Chen, X., French, D. C., & Schneider, B. (Eds.) (2006). Child and adolescent peer relationships in cultural context. Cambridge University Press.
- French, D. C., Christ, S., Lu, T., & Purwono, U. (in press). Trajectories of Indonesian adolescents’ religiosity, problem behavior, and friends’ religiosity: Covariation and sequences. Child Development.
- French, D. C., Eisenberg, N., Sallquist, J., Purwono, U., Lu, T., & Christ, S. (2013). Parent adolescent relationships, Islam, and the social adjustment of Indonesian adolescents. Journal of Family Psychology, 27(3), 421-30. doi:10.1037/a0032858
- French, D. C., Purwono, U., & Rodkin, P. C. (2012). Religiosity of adolescents and their friends and network associates: Homophily and associations with antisocial behavior. Journal of Research on Adolescence, 22(2), 326-332. doi:10.1111/j.1532-7795.2012.00778x
- Liu, J., Li, D., Chen, X., & French, D. C. (2012). Shyness-sensitivity, aggression, and adjustment in urban Chinese adolescents at different historical times. Journal of Research on Adolescence, 22(3), 393-399. doi:10.111/j.1532-7795.2012.00790x
- French, D. C., Chen, X., Chung, J., Li, M., Shanghai, D. L., Chen, H., & Wang, L. (2011). Four children and one toy: Chinese and Canadian children faced with potential conflict over a limited resource. Child Development, 82, 830-841.
- Sallquist, J., Eisenberg, N., French, D. C., Purwono, U., & Suryanti, T. A. (2010). Indonesian adolescents’ religious involvement: The longitudinal relations of religiousness with socioemotional functioning. Developmental Psychology, 46, 699-716.
- Eisenberg, N., Vaughan, J., French, D. C., Purwono, U., & Suryanti, T. (2009). The relations of majority/minority group status and having an other-religion friend to Indonesian youths’ socioemotional functioning. Developmental Psychology, 45, 248-259.
- French, D. C., Eisenberg, N., Vaughan, J., Purwono, U., & Suryanti, T. (2008). Religious involvement and competence in Indonesian Muslim adolescents. Developmental Psychology, 44, 597-611.
- Chen, X., & French, D. C. (2008). Children’s social competence in cultural context. In S. T. Fiske, A. E. Kazdin & D. L. Schacter, (Eds.). Annual Review of Psychology, 59, 591-616. Palo Alto: Annual Reviews.
- French, D. C., Bae, A., Pidada, S., & Lee, O. (2006). Friendships of Indonesian, S. Korean and U.S. college students. Personal Relations, 13, 69-81.
- French, D. C., Pidada, S., & Victor, A. (2005). Friendships of Indonesian and United States youth. International Journal of Behavioral Development, 29, 304-313.
- French, D. C., Pidada, S., Denoma, J., McDonald, K., & Lawton, A. (2005). Reported peer conflicts of children in the United States and Indonesia. Social Development, 14, 458-472.
- French, D. C., & Dishion, T. J. (2003). Predictors of early initiation of sexual intercourse among high-risk adolescents. Journal of Early Adolescence, 23, 295-315.
- French, D. C., Jansen, E. A., Rianasari, M., & Setiono, K., (2003). Friendships of Indonesian children: Adjustment of children who differ in friendship presence and similarity between mutual friends. Social Development, 4, 605-621.
- French, D. C., Jansen, E. A., & Pidada, S. (2002). U.S. and Indonesian children’s and adolescents’ reports of relational aggression by disliked peers. Child Development, 73, 1143-1150.
- French, D. C., Rianasari, M., Pidada, S., Nelwan, P., & Buhrmester, D. (2001). Social support of Indonesian and U.S. children and adolescents by family members and friends. Merrill Palmer Quarterly, 47, 377-394.
- French, D. C., & Conrad, J. (2001). School dropout as predicted by peer rejection and antisocial behavior. Journal of Research on Adolescence, 11, 225-244.
- Hartup, W. W., French, D. C., Laursen, B., Johnston, M. K., & Ogawa, J. R. (1993). Conflict and friendship relations in middle childhood: Behavior in a closed-field situation. Child Development, 64, 445-454.
- French, D. C. (1990). Heterogeneity of peer-rejected girls. Child Development, 61, 2028-2031.
- French, D. C. (1988). Heterogeneity of peer rejected boys: Aggressive and non-aggressive subtypes. Child Development, 59, 976-985.
- French, D. C. (1987). Children’s social interaction with older and younger peers. Journal of Personal and Social Relations, 4, 63-86.
- French, D. C., Waas, G. A., Stright, A., & Baker, J. (1986). Leadership asymmetries in children’s mixed-age groups. Child Development, 57, 1277-1283.
- French, D. C., & Waas, G. (1985). Behavior problems of peer neglected elementary-age children: Parent and teacher perspectives. Child Development, 56, 246-252.
- French, D. C. (1984). Children’s knowledge of the social functions of younger, older, and same-age peers. Child Development, 55, 1429-1433.
Edited Book Chapters
- French, D. C. (in press). Cultural templates for child and adolescent friendships. In Oxford handbook of human development and culture: An interdisciplinary perspective. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press.
- French, D. C., Eisenberg, N., Purwono, U., & Sallquist, J. A. (2012). Indonesian Muslim adolescents and the ecology of religion. In G. Trommsdorff & X. Chen (Eds.). Values, religion, and culture in adolescent development (pp. 146-163). New York: Cambridge University Press.
- French, D. C., Setiono, K., & Eddy, J. M. (1999). Bootstrapping through the cultural comparison minefield: Childhood social status and friendship in the United States and Indonesia. In W. A. Collins & B. Laursen (Eds.). Relationships as developmental contexts: Minnesota symposium of Child Psychology, 30, (pp 109-131). Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.
The University of Minnesota
The Institute of Child Development and the School Psychology Training Program
PhD in Child Psychology awarded in 1980
Memphis Clinical Psychology Internship Consortium
University of Tennessee Center for the Health Sciences
Dept. of Psychiatry, Division of Psychology, Memphis, Tennessee
(APA approved clinical internship)
University of California at Berkeley
BA in Psychology awarded in 1973