Judith A. Myers-Walls, PhD
Parenting education, parenthood, family life education, the cultural context of children and families, peace education and the impact of war and peace on children and families
I came from a background in psychology and special education to get Master’s and doctoral degrees from CDFS (the former name of HDFS). I then joined the department as a full-time faculty member with the title of Extension Specialist, translating research for the general public and for family professionals. (See HHS Extension, Family) I devoted significant effort to curriculum development, delivery, and evaluation and to mass media educational efforts. Beginning in 2003, my assignment changed to also include classroom teaching. Altogether, I was a member of the CDFS community for 31 years.
Consistent with my assignment to Cooperative Extension, my research has concentrated on applied topics. In the earlier years, my research dealt with adolescent parenting and methods of delivering educational materials to parents in different situations. Later, my research concentrated primarily on how parents and children talk about difficult topics, especially disasters and war and peace (see Purple Wagon Web site). I also spent a significant amount of effort on examining the cultural context of child development and parenting.
At the end of my active tenure, I continued with a half-time assignment to the Cooperative Extension Service, building on web-based outreach efforts, including reaching parents through child care providers (see Provider-Parent Partnerships Web site). I also assisted county offices with their program evaluation efforts and provided training opportunities that prepared professionals to deliver curricula I have developed.
One of the exciting opportunities to explore the cultural context of families from 2006 through 2012 was Study Abroad. In the summers of 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, and 2012 I co-led summer trips to India. The experience was open to both undergraduate and graduate students.
In retirement, I continue to monitor my websites and provide training and consultation in most of the interest areas listed above.
Refereed Journal Articles
- Myers-Walls, J. A., Ballard, S. M., Darling C., & Myers-Bowman, K. S. (2011). Reconceptualizing the boundaries and domain of family life education. Family Relations, 60, 357-372.
- Myers-Walls, J. A., Frias, L. V., Kwon, K. A., Ko, M. J., & Lu, T. (2011). Living life in two worlds: Acculturative stress among Asian international graduate student parents and spouses. Journal of Comparative Family Studies, 42, 455-478.
- Walker, K., Myers-Bowman, K. S., & Myers-Walls, J. A. (2008). Supporting young children’s efforts toward peacemaking: Recommendations for early childhood educators. Early Childhood Education Journal, 35, 377-382.
- DeBord, K., Bower, D., Goddard, H. W., Wilkins, J. K., Kobbe, A. M., Myers-Walls, J. A., Mulroy, M., & Ozretich, R. (2006, June). A professional guide for parenting educators: The national extension parenting educators’ framework. Journal of Extension, 44(3), Article No. 3FEA8. (www.joe.org/joe/2006june/a8.shtml)
- Myers-Bowman, K. S., Walker, K., & Myers-Walls, J. A. (2005). Differences between war and peace are big: Children from Yugoslavia and the U.S. describe peace and war. Peace and Conflict: Journal of Peace Psychology, 11, 177-198.
- Myers-Walls, J. A. (2004). Positive parenting: Key concepts and resources. Journal of Family & Consumer Sciences, 96(4), 10-13.
- Goddard, H. W., Myers-Walls, J. A., & Lee, T. R. (2004). Parenting: Have we arrived, or do we continue the journey? Family and Consumer Sciences Research Journal, 33(1), 21-38.
- Myers-Walls, J. (2004). Children as victims of war and terrorism. Journal of Aggression, Maltreatment, & Trauma, 8(1/2), 41-62.
- Myers-Bowman, K. S., Walker, K., & Myers-Walls, J. A. (2003). A cross-cultural examination of children’s understanding of "the enemy". Psychological Reports 93, 779-790.
- Walker, K., Myers-Bowman, K. S., & Myers-Walls, J. A. (2003). Understanding war, visualizing peace: Children draw what they know. Art Therapy: Journal of the American Art Therapy Association, 20(4), 191-200.
Books and Book Chapters
- Myers-Walls, J. A. (2012). Court-mandated parents and families. In A. Taylor and S. Ballard (Eds.). Family life education with diverse populations. Newbury Park: Sage.
- Myers-Walls, J. A., & Frias, L. V. (2007). Family, school, and community: Finding green lights at the intersection. In B. Sharif Trask & R.R. Hamon (Eds.), Cultural diversity and families: Expanding perspectives. Sage.
- Myers-Walls, J. A., Myers-Bowman, K. S., & Posada, G. (2006). Parenting practices worldwide. In B. Ingoldsby & S. Smith (Eds.), Families in global and multicultural perspectives (2nd edition) (pp. 147-167). Newbury Park: Sage.
- Myers-Walls, J. A. (2004). Children as victims of war and terrorism. In J. Mullings, J. Marquart, & D.J. Hartley (Eds.), Emerging issues in the victimization of children: Trends, patterns, and problems. Binghamton, NY: Haworth Press.
- Myers-Walls, J. A., Myers-Bowman, K. S., & Dunn, J. (2003). Cultural characteristics questionnaire: What does your target population look like? In D. Bredehoft and M. Walcheski (Eds.). Family life education: Integrating theory and practice (pp. 186-188). Minneapolis, MN: National Council on Family Relations.
- Myers-Walls, J. A., & Somlai, P. (Eds.) with Rapoport, R.N. (2001). Families as educators for global citizenship. Aldershot, Hants: Ashgate.
- Myers-Walls, J. A. (2001). How families teach their children about the world. In J.A. Myers-Walls & P. Somlai with R.N. Rapoport (Eds.), Families as educators for global citizenship (pp. 3-12). Aldershot: Ashgate.
- Haessley, J., & Myers-Walls, J. A. (2001). Religion, spirituality, and the family: Challenges for global citizenship. In J.A. Myers-Walls & P. Somlai with R.N. Rapoport (Eds.), Families as educators for global citizenship (pp. 177-190).
- Aldershot: Ashgate. Myers-Walls, J. A. (2001). The parents' role in educating about war and peace. In J.A. Myers-Walls & P. Somlai with R.N. Rapoport (Eds.), Families as educators for global citizenship (pp. 191-202). Aldershot: Ashgate.
- Myers-Walls, J. A. (1999). Family diversity and family life education. In D.H. Demo, K.R. Allen, & M.A. Fine (Eds.), Handbook of family diversity, (pp. 359-379). New York: Oxford University Press.
- Smith, C. A., Cudaback, D., Goddard, H. W., & Myers-Walls, J. A. (1994). The National Extension Parent Education Model Final Report. Manhattan, KS: Kansas State Cooperative Extension Service. See http://www.ksu.edu/wwparent/nepem
Primary Extension Curriculum Packages
- Purple Wagon
- Provider-Parent Partnerships
- Family Life Education Materials Quality Assessment Tool (FLEMat-QAT)
- Parenting Piece by Piece. (1999, 2009). Designed for parents mandated to attend programming due to abuse and neglect and also used with incarcerated parents; with Terri Newcom, County Extension Educator.
- Mentor Mother. (1990, 1995). A program matching teen mothers with older adult volunteers; with Janet Wakefield, county Extension Educator and Janet Mix, graduate assistant.
- Myers-Walls, J. A., Ballard, S., Darling, C., & Myers-Bowman, K., S. (2010, November). Reconceptualizing the domain and boundaries of family life education. Poster presented at the National Council on Family Relations annual meeting, Minneapolis.
- Myers-Walls, J. A. (2010, August). Children and the stress of disasters and political violence. Presented at Development and equity for a global society: Emerging concerns for social work, Madras School of Social Work, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India.
- Myers-Walls, J. A. (2010, January). Parenting Piece by Piece. Training for program facilitators (45 participants); Training of trainers (10 participants). Little Falls, MN.
- Myers-Walls, J. A., & Myers-Bowman, K. S. (2009, November). Children's reactions to war from a distance: Parent and child perspectives. Poster presented at the National Council on Family Relations annual meeting, San Francisco.
- Myers-Walls, J. A., Kwon, K. A., Ko, M. J., Frias, L. V., & Lu, T. (2009, April) Developing research-based and culturally sensitive parenting programs for international graduate-student parents. Paper presented at the Society for Research in Child Development, Denver.
- Myers-Walls, J. A., & Thomas, V. (2008, November). Lessons gained from employing feminist principles in a study-abroad tour. Presented as part of the symposium Critical humility, cultural competence, acts of dissent: International experiences from a feminist perspective. National Council on Family Relations annual meeting, Little Rock, AR.
- Frias, L. V., & Myers-Walls, J. A. (2008, November). Shared and unique themes of children's drawings of war and peace across cultures. Paper presented at the National Council on Family Relations annual meeting. Little Rock, AR.
- Kwon, K. A., Ko, M. J., Frias, L. V., & Myers-Walls, J. A. (2007, November). Developing a parenting program for Asian international graduate students. Poster presented at the National Council on Family Relations annual meeting, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Kim, S. H., Kwon, K. A., Ko, M. J., Frias, L. V., & Myers-Walls, J. A. (2007, November). Living on the outskirts of U. S. life: Asian graduate-student mothers. Poster presented at the National Council on Family Relations annual meeting, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Frias, L. V., & Myers-Walls, J. A. (2007, November). Parents’ attitudes and children’s drawings of war. Poster presented at the National Council on Family Relations annual meeting, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Kwon, Y. I. , Hong, S. Y., Myers-Walls, J. A., & Ko, M. J. (2007, March/April). Understanding war and peace: South Korean children’s views and their parents’ attitudes. Poster presented at the biannual meeting of the Society for Research on Child Development, Boston.
- Kwon, K. A., Ko, M. J., Frias, L. V., & Myers-Walls, J. A. (2007, March/April). Strengths and needs of Asian international student couples and parenting in the U.S.A. Poster presented at the biannual meeting of the Society for Research on Child Development, Boston.
- Pentsil-Bukari, R., Myers-Walls, J. A., & Fox, W. (2006, November). What values are parents communicating to their children about war and peace? Poster presented at the annual meeting of the National Council on Family Relations, Minneapolis.
- Frias, L. V., & Myers-Walls, J. A. (2006, November). Parents’ attitudes and their definitions of war and peace. Poster presented at the annual meeting of the National Council on Family Relations, Minneapolis.
- Boss, P., Landau, J., Myers-Walls, J. A., Braun, B., & Paulison, R. P. (2005). Congressional Briefing on Capitol Hill: Homeland Security Issues and the Family. Invited panel presentation at the National Council on Family Relations Public Policy Conference, Washington DC.
- PhD, 1979, Child Development and Family Studies, Purdue University.
- MS, 1977, Child Development and Family Studies, Purdue University.
- BA, 1974, Psychology, Manchester College, North Manchester, Indiana.
- CDFS 441: Working With Parents
- CDFS 442: Family Life Education
- CDFS 590: Development and Parenting in a Global Context (informal graduate seminar)
- CDFS 398/590: Families and Culture in India (study abroad)
- P-250: Teaching Peace with Children (intensive course taught as an adjunct faculty member at Bethany Theological Seminary)
- 2010: Meritorious Service Award, NCFR Affiliated Councils
- 2008: Named a Community of Service Learning Faculty Fellow, Purdue University
- 2002: Special Award, Purdue University Cooperative Extension Specialist Association, for Children and Terrorism Website, shared with Agricultural Communication Service.
- 2000: National Council on Family Relations (NCFR) Fellow, awarded for career achievement and service in the family studies field and contributions to NCFR.
- 1996: Career Achievement Award for Outstanding Contribution by an Extension Specialist (national award), awarded at the Family Life Specialist Conference, November.
- 1995: Senior Recognition Award, Purdue University Cooperative Extension Specialist Association.
Internal and External Grants
- Study Abroad and International Learning (SAIL) Grant. Supports planning trips to India and Ireland. $5300. (2006-2008).
- Understanding war and peace: A view for Filipino immigrant parents and children. Purdue Research Foundation research grant, to support a graduate research assistant (Larissa Frias). $14,040 (2006-2007).
- Service Learning Faculty Development Grant. Offices of the Provost and Engagement. $6,000. 2005-2007; 2007-2009.
- Parent care through child care. 21st Century Initiative Grant, Purdue Cooperative Extension Service, to support the development of web-based resources to help child care providers deliver parenting information (Named Provider-Parent Partnerships, $33,796 (1999-2000); $35,000 (2000-2001).
- Parents, children, war, and peace. Grant-in-aid from the Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues to support interviews with children and parents in Belgrade, Yugoslavia, regarding their thoughts and reactions to the war there in 1999. $1250. (With Smiljka Tomonovic, University of Belgrade, and Karen Myers-Bowman, Kansas State University).
- Healthy Families Indiana Outcome Evaluation. Family Social Services Administration, State of Indiana. Myers-Walls and Yvonne Bryan, co-principal investigators. 1993-94: $24,950. 1994-95: $37,000. Myers-Walls and Jim Elicker, co-principal investigators. Supplemental funding, 1995: $14,900. 1995-96: $43,202. 1996-97: $60,000. 1997-98: $65,000. 1998-99: $70,000.
National Council on Family Relations
- Family Life Education Practitioner Resources Council, 2009-
- Fellowship award selection committee, 2007-2010 (Chair, 2007-2009)
- Vice President for Program, 1997-98 (responsible for planning 1998 Annual Meeting)
- Vice President for Program-Elect, 1996-97
- Member, Board of Directors, 1996-98, 1990-92, 2001-2004
- Association of Councils Program Chair, 1994-95
- Education and Enrichment Section Chair, 1990-92
- Chair, Task Force to review the Certified Family Life Educator Program, 1990-91
- Education and Enrichment Section Secretary/Treasurer, 1988-90
- Affiliated Councils Program Chair, 1985-86
Indiana Council on Family Relations
- Member, planning committee, 2000
- Program Co-Chair, 1983, 1989
- Past President, 1986-87
- President, 1984-86
- President-Elect, 1983-84
- Secretary, 1981-83
Indiana Council on Adolescent Pregnancy
- Secretary, 2000-2005
- Advisor, Purdue student chapter, 2003-2006
Indiana Association for Education of Young Children
- Member of Conference Planning Committee, 1983
Indiana Healthy Mothers, Healthy Babies Coalition
- Membership Chair, 1986-90