Dining with Diabetes
This program is for diabetics or those at risk for diabetes and their caregivers, but it is also helpful to anyone interested in diabetes or friends and family of a diabetic. You’ll learn how to lessen the health risks of diabetes. Four to five 2-hour lessons are taught weekly with an optional follow-up lesson.
- food choice
- diet planning
- healthy cooking
- portion control
- medical indicator awareness
- healthy activity levels for those with diabetes
Participants watch food preparation presentations, taste test, and take home recipes.
Making a Difference
During 2013, the program was presented 53 times in 21 Indiana counties to 769 people.
Dining with Diabetes participants report
- increased knowledge of nutrition and diabetes management
- exercising more
- eating more fruits and vegetables
- increasing dairy intake
- practicing healthful cooking and food preparation behaviors more often after the program compared with before the program