A degree in retail management will prepare you for a career in merchandising, management, and/or marketing in traditional retail settings and e-commerce environments. Job opportunities are excellent in marketing, consumer relations, advertising, market research, sales, publicity, and merchandising analysis.
Supplement your plan of study by applying to attend a program abroad or the Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT) in New York City during your junior year. These courses may be applied to degree requirements at Purdue and the FIT program leads to an Associate in Applied Science degree in either Fashion Business Management or Fashion Design upon satisfactory completion.
- Corporate Recruiter
- Human Resources Manager
- Marketing Director
- Sales Manager
- Sales Promotion Specialist
- Store Manager
- Supply Chain Manager
- Visual Merchandiser
- Gain real-world experience through a required retail internship or field experience.
- Participate in the National Retail Federation or YMA Fashion Scholarship Fund case study competitions to earn scholarships, industry professional development opportunities, and internships.
- Attend a program abroad such as a summer or semester program at the London College of Fashion or Hong Kong Polytechnic Institute
- Spend your junior year at the Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT) in New York City and earn your associate’s degree. Students in the Retail Management program are qualified to apply if they've earned a 3.00 cumulative GPA at the time of the application.
- Retail Management
- Buying of Merchandise
- Visual Merchandising
- Textile Science
- Consumer Behavior
- Customer Relations Management
- E-Commerce & Retailing
- Personal Selling and Negotiations
- Complete list of CSR courses and descriptions
Virtual Tour of Consumer Science
Take a virtual tour of the Department of Consumer Science!
Sample Degree Requirements
- 2016 - Retail Management
- 2015 - Retail Management
- 2014 - Retail Management
- 2014 - Retail Management with IPFW
- 2014 - Retail Management with FIT's Fashion Business Management (REMG + FBM)
- 2013 - Retail Management
- 2012 - Retail Management
How do I switch my major?
If you are interested in switching your major to Retail Management, please visit the Change of Degree Objective (CODO) page to learn more about the process to enter the College of Health & Human Sciences.
How do I transfer to Purdue?
If you are interested in transferring to Retail Management from another college or university, please visit the Future Transfer Students page to learn more about the steps needed to finish your degree at Purdue University.